BOOK REVIEW

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

CHOOSING HAPPINESS AFTER DIVORCE
A Woman's 52 Week Guide To Living A Positive Life
By Jane Thompson

Jane Thompson's new book, Choosing Happiness After Divorce offers hope to those devastated by divorce. Her book will guide you through the difficult period following divorce and inspire you to choose the path to happiness. Regardless of how long it has been since you divorced, this 52 week guide provides methods for leaving despair in the past and moving forward to happiness.

Thompson has lived through divorce and speaks and writes from experience. She shares with you how she chose happiness and how you can too. Each chapter contains a guided journal entry to help you explore your feelings and brainstorm ideas. She suggests further readings where you can seek advice from "experts" and inspiration from others. Jane gives a recipe in each chapter to provide a creative and fun way of bringing a smile to your face, and family and friends to the table.

Marriage and Family therapists, John N. and Marion Sue DeFoore wrote, "Your book is a beautiful, informative, logical, inspirational, and practical guide for any person going through divorce or any of life's traumatic challenges. your insight and learning as a result of your journey is an encouragement to any person who has to make a similar journey."

I agree with the DeFoores. This is a splendid book and I recommend it to all those who have been devastated by divorce. Is there anything I don't like about the book? Yes! Since I do not drink alcoholic beverages, I didn't like the advice, "...make yourself a drink" and the recipe for The Ritual Janetini which calls for 1 1/2 ounces of vodka. One and one half ounces is not much, I know, but it's too much for me. I don't feel this way because I think drinking alcohol is sinful. I think drinking too much is wrong. I think people looking for happiness will be better off staying away from alcohol completely. I realize this is just my opinion. But since this is my review, I must express my opinion. I wasn't thrilled with the chapter To Bed Or Not To Bed?

Many, if not all, the women who read my reviews are mature Christians. You can read and review a book as well as I can. You may have read My Strong Opinions on my blog and noted that one of them is: I accept truth wherever I find it. There is so much good in this book that I want to strongly recommend it to all those divorced and looking for a better life.

6 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

How I wish I had read a book like this so many years ago. It is a painful process that takes years to get to a point where you can move forward and not harbor any ill feelings. Great review and post!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Loren said...

You inspire me more than you know! I wish I had this book years ago as well because it is devastating to go through a divorce especially when you are not the one seeking it! I was married and divorced at 21 and have learned so much since then! I was a child of divorce as well. EAch of my parents married 3 times. NOT FUN AT ALL!

Thankyou for sharing this review and your opinions do matter so thankyou for the truth as well!

Love and Blessings!

SmilingSally said...

Thankfully, this is one I don't need.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I have been through a divorce but am now happily remarried. I can say the best thing you can do to be happy after a divorce is to let go of your bitterness. Forgive yourself, forgive your ex-spouse, and get on with the business of living your life. But, most importantly, DO NOT BE BITTER. Do not allow bitterness even the tiniest of footholds on your heart.

Unknown said...

Thank you for reviewing the book! I appreciate your comments!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.