BOOK REVIEW

Monday, December 07, 2009


THE KARMA OF JESUS--Do We Really Reap What We Sow
By Mark Herringshaw

OVERVIEW: Whether we call it Karma or not, life seems to be based on cause and effect. If we do something good, we expect (or hope) good will return. Do something bad, and bad will result. Indeed, the ancient idea of Karma--reaping what we sow--is recognized in almost every religion in the world. But this principle sets an inescapable trap: If "what comes around goes around," then every small mistake will haunt us to the bitter end. IS THAT IT THOUGH? IS THIS OUR DESTINY? In this provocative book, Mark Herringshaw boldly explores two mutually exclusive visions of life: Karma and grace. Prompted by a chance conversation with a spiritually curious young man, he gives us a probing look at the implications of Karma and the relevance of Christ's life.

AUTHOR: Mark Herringshaw is a pastor, sought-after teacher, and conference speaker. The coauthor of two previous books, he leverages the crafts of storytelling, biblical scholarship, and scientific research to make complex ideas simple, practical, and transformative.

MY REVIEW: This is a difficult review for me to write. I need to choose my words wisely. I do not want to praise the book too highly and thereby encourage readers to buy it thinking it is something it is not. However, at the same time I do not want to discourage  potential buyers who might profit from what Mark Herringshaw has written.

I liked this book very much. But I am coming from a background of Bible college and seminary training plus forty-seven years of practical Christian living as a full-time minister. This certainly doesn't make me any wiser than the average reader or better prepared to deal with this difficult subject. But the average person may not be as interested in the topic as I am.

Herringshaw writes in an interesting way and I learned much from reading his book. And yet when I read the last page and put the book down I didn't feel satisfied. I didn't have an "Aha, moment." I didn't say to myself, "Send the questioners in. I'm ready now. I can explain Karna to them."

I do think things happen for a reason. But after saying that, where do we go from there? If you are interested, maybe you should read this book.


LEAVE A COMMENT, AND WIN A BOOK.


The generous folks at Bethany House are allowing me to host this book giveaway for two (2) copies!
  • Winners are restricted to the US and Canada. No PO Box mailing address please.
  • You do not have to be a blogger to win. You can win more than once on my blog.
  • I MUST have a way of contacting you, so be sure to leave your email address in your comment.
  • Some choose to omit the @ sign and the . dot by writing it in "code" like this: you (at) your email (dot)com.
  • I'll close the comments December 21 and pick the two winners. I will contact the winners via email to get their mailing information. The winners will have three days to respond. If I do not hear from them within three days, I will select another winner(s).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to be entered in your draw. Thanks.
wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

SmilingSally said...

This would not be one for me, Clif.

Mary said...

This books sounds very interesting, Clif. I don't have any interest in learning about karma...I don't believe in it.....but it is very interesting that the author is comparing it to grace...there must be some very good points in it. Thanks for the review...fair and balanced!


God bless,
Mary

Ms.Daisy said...

Hi Clif,
Like Sally, this one would not be for me. Thanks.


~Jean

Sandy said...

I sometimes do say what goes around comes around, yet like you I have 40+ years of Christian living maybe I need to hear about karma and reaping what you sow. Please enter my name.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I believe what comes around goes around, so I would enjoy reading this book.