BOOK REVIEW

Friday, January 28, 2011

CHANGING THE CONVERSATION
Transformational Steps to Financial and Family Well-Being
By Gary Klaben

OVERVIEW: Against the backdrop of today's many political and fiscal system dysfunctions, author and financial advisor Gary Klaben declares that America's future is still exceptionally bright. Figuring out how to unlock the needs of today's individuals and families defines the challenge of achieving a better future. Done right, the next great wave of business innovations, wealth creation and family well-being can soon be unleashed. Changing the Conversation--taking note of today's anxieties in the workplace, in communities and in homes--argues that a new kind of conversation is urgently needed. People require a new and profound support system involving mutual trust, long-term relationships, interdependence, intimate knowledge and practical consolidation to reduce complexity and live simpler, happier lives. Changing the Conversation outlines the journey from dependency to mastery, from self-discovery to multigenerational financial and family realization. It is filled with insightful, even startling conversations about what really matters and how to think, prioritize and act.

AUTHOR: Gary Klaben is president of Coyle Asset Management, a financial consulting and investment advisory services company. He also heads Protinus, an intellectual property firm that helps financial advisors deliver deep support to their clients. A 1979 West Point graduate and former infantry officer, Gary received his Chartered Financial Consultant designation in 1989 and Master of Science in Financial Services in 1995.


MY REVIEW: This is a good book⏤a very good book. And yet as I start to write this review about it, I feel a little sad. Sad because I wonder how many people will buy it, sit down and read⏤all of it. I just don't know. Maybe we can't know this about any book. But I wonder about this one. I guess I have become pessimistic concerning the average family's real concern about their financial and family well-being. Oh, I don't mean that there isn't a lot of concern about these matters. It just seems that many do not care enough to try and do anything about it. But that's my concern. Let's talk about the book. As I said, this is a good book and it is a needed book. I agree with Douglas Andrew, New York Times and Wall Street Journal best-selling author. He said: "Finally! A roadmap for securing personal and family prosperity over time." And I also agree with Joanne Day, Trumpet, Inc. Workflow Efficiency Advisor who said, "A thoroughly enjoyable read. Brew a pot of coffee, pull up a chair...like spending time with a close friend who happens to be a renowned financial advisor." I have a financial advisor but he doesn't have the time to sit down and talk to me about the things Klaben talks about in this book. Yes, this is a good book and one that needs to be read. I hope that it will be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read several of the books you have reviewed and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Now I have another one to add to the list! Finances is a big issue for all of us right now. Thanks for sharing this, Clif. Have a Happy Spiritual Sunday!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Clif, I wonder if this book is available on Amazon?? If so you could post your review of it on there again. I have so many books to read at the moment, too many. I pray anyone who doesn't may buy and read. God Bless