A PRAYER OF THE UNEMPLOYED

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Reading Ken Gire's excellent book,The North Face of God: Hope for the times when God seems indifferent. I came to this touching prayer of an unemployed man:

God help me, please!
Please don't humiliate me again,
not before my friends
not before my wife
not before my children
not before my parents...
Father, what's helping find me a job compared to the power it takes
You to run this world for even one day?
Nothing!
If a sparrow doesn't fall without You noticing, why aren't You
Noticing me? Why are You tending millions of beautiful flowers that
bloom today and are gone tomorrow but You won't tend to me, Your
Child? One nod, one word from You and a door would open. Why
are You humiliating me?...
Jesus, I don't know any more words. I have no more words. Does
Your silence mean, No, You won't help? Does it mean, wait?
How long?
I'm listening, Lord. Straining to hear.
I'm calling, Lord, with all my heart. Please, let me laugh again, help
Me find my reason for getting up in the mornings, take away this
humiliation that slaps me in the face all day, every day.

This prayer touches my heart. This man not only needs a job, he needs to know that God cares enough to listen to him. I'm praying for the thousands who have lost their jobs. I pray that they not only find a job but that they find God in the midst of all this mess and that they cling to Him, knowing that He cares. It's tough! Let's not forget these who are struggling.

3 comments:

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This is a sad prayer, and I'm sure it is being said time and time again all over the nation!

Please, Lord, answer their prayers!

Katherine

SmilingSally said...

It's good to remind ourselves that God hears and LOVES even when it seems otherwise.

Kelly said...

I'm praying, too, Clif. My husband was unemployed for three months in 2008 and things were difficult. Things are still difficult because in the job that he has now, he took a large pay cut from what he had been earning at his last job. But we trust in the Lord and I do all that I can to help cut costs -- I am making my own bread, granola, pita chips, granola bars, laundry detergent, and liquid handsoap. This helps us save money on the grocery bills. God takes care of us and leads us and provides us with friends who are in the same situation, and we help and support each other with ideas on how to save wherever we can.

My prayers especially go out to those who have never known tough financial struggles and who are now without a job and don't know what to do. I pray that they will cling to God, for they truly need His help.