A WISP OF FOG

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tule fog is an unwanted but regular visitor to the San Joaquin Valley of California in the fall and winter. I experienced it every year for twenty years.

It comes often and lasts longer than you want but it doesn't last forever. It goes away.

James said our lives are a little like fog, "You're nothing but a wisp of fog, catching a brief bit of sun before disappearing."

Charlotte rolls out of bed in the morning, blinks a few times and sets down at her wonderful Mac computer which she loves.

When I eventually get blanket freedom I sit on the side of the bed and try to decide what day it is and then I put on my house shoes and robe and go outside and bring in the morning paper.

We are retired. We have a lot of interests. We can "spend" our days in many different ways.

What to do with our day, our hours, our minutes--our moments. This is tough stuff. I know. I know. You would like to have this problem.

Well regardless of what season of life you are in right now--you do have to make decisions about what you do with your days--yes, your life!

There's an old song I don't like very much but it has a message we need to think about: "Time is filled with swift transition, naught of earth unmoved can stand, build your hopes on things eternal, hold to God's unchanging hand."

I just looked up at the clock. It's almost noon. How can it be? I just got up.

Valentine's Day is this week? You gotta be kidding. Easter is just around the corner?

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Hello Charlotte's Husband, but I'll call you Clif!
So nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by my blog...and reminding me that just 2 hours away is warmth and sunshine and more warmth!
I enjoy Charlotte's blog. She was one of my first blogging friends.
I always make sure and let her know when we've had an In & Out Burger down there!
The sun is out today and already melting the 2 ft away.
God bless

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Cliff, (Charlotte's husband)it's very nice to meet you and have you visit my blog. I've always enjoyed Charlotte's.
You are so right, time seems to be flying by faster as we age.
My hubby is a keeper and quite the romantic.
I know you will make Valentine's day extra special. I hope we get to hear about it.??

SmilingSally said...

Like Charlotte, I head for my Mac. I am grateful for blogging and reading. They are two pleasures of retirement.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Aahh, retirement!! "The best kept secret!!"

We are supposed to go away this weekend for Valentine's Day, but my sweetheart has been sick and was just diagnosed with shingles
:-(

Katherine