WHY WORRY? WHY PRAY?

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The following poem is from Charles Allen's book, All Things Are Possible Through Prayer. He doesn't give a name for the author of the poem.

Worry? Why worry? What can worry do?
It never keeps a trouble from overtaking you.
It gives you indigestion and sleepless hours at night
And fills with gloom the days, however fair and bright.

It puts a frown upon the face, and sharpness to the tone
We're unfit to live with others and unfit to live alone
Worry? Why worry? What can worry do?
It never keeps a trouble from overtaking you.

Pray? Why pray? What can praying do?
Praying really changes things, arranges life anew.
It's good for your digestion, gives peaceful sleep at night
And fills the grayest, gloomiest day--with rays of glowing light.

It puts a smile upon your face, the love note in your tone
Makes you fit to live with others, and fit to live alone.
Pray? Why pray? What can praying do?
 It brings God down from heaven, to live and work with you.

18 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

What a beautiful poem that answers our first response to anything life hands us, prayer.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Debbie said...

I LOVE this! ~ and soo timely for me. Have a wonderful week. BLESSINGS

Gayle said...

Clif, I absolutely LOVE this poem. We know it's true, yet we keep needing reminders. Thank you for reminding me of God's peace that only comes through prayer. Bless you.

Sandy said...

This is great, Clif! Thank you so much for sharing it. Another one that goes with our "positive theme" that several us have in our S.S. posts!

Anonymous said...

Amen! Worry never does any good.

Joan Hall said...

I often need to be reminded not to worry. Thanks for posting this, Clif. My parents had a copy of this book. Wish I knew what happened to it.

Blessings,
Joan

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

This is beautiful and right on, Clif! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Blessings,
Sandi

Joe Todd said...

So true. One might have something to worry about if they aren't praying

Loren said...

I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have the LORD to talk to no matter what the circumstance. The good. the bad. the worrisome. the scary. ONLY HE can help me and rejoice with me in ways that truly show HIS care or joy! HIS strength or peace...

Love this poem. Prayer is power!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

someone once told me worry is fear and fear and faith are opposites. You can't walk in both at the same time. Prayer encourages faith....thanks for this

Mevely317 said...

I think Sarah just echoed what I'm thinking! This is so very good!

Thank you!
Myra

Renee said...

So very very true! God bless....

Karen said...

Wonderful message....

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Wonderful poem. Reminds me of the saying, "If you're gonna worry, why pray?"

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Beautiful! I got to your post and realized the coffee was done, I thought I would read your post first but then the aroma of the coffee took over. I got my coffee and read this amazing poem.I enjoyed it so much while I sipped on my coffee. I can't imagine people living without prayer.It makes me thankful that I have it in my life.
Blessings,
Ginger

Elizabeth Dianne said...

"the love note in your tone
Makes you fit to live with others, and fit to live alone."

That one line alone is priceless.

kanishk said...

Wonderful poem.
post free classified ads

JEANNE said...

Hello Cliff, this poem is inspiring. If we can listen to these words our life can be a much happier one. I believe in prayer completely. It allows us to lighten our burdens by giving them to our Lord.

Blessings, Jeanne