COMMUNION

Tuesday, November 05, 2013


COMMUNIONC IN THE SERIES CLIF FROM A TO Z

Communion or the Lord's Supper is not something that most people go around thinking about. But reflecting on the Facebook question, "What's On Your Mind?" this is it―Communion. I have been meeting with other Christians around the Lord's Table and communing since I was seventeen.

Before I became a Christian I thought that communion was one of the strangest things going. People eating a tiny piece of unleavened bread and drinking a very small cup of juice didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Looking back over sixty-two years as a Christian and years of Bible study, I now treasure the opportunity to meet with other Christians and remember what Christ has done for us. I think of love, grace and mercy.

Over the years I have watched the protestant church put less and less emphasis on the Lord's Supper. In many cases, because of the size of the assembly, it is done quickly and without much thought. In too many cases it is being shuffled off to the side or forgotten all together.


1 Corinthians 11:23–26

23 For xI received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that ythe Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for5 you. Do this in remembrance of me.”6 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death zuntil he comes.

It seems to me, that when the church assembles for worship, we need to get serious about what our Lord said about this and give it the attention and reverence it deserves.


0 comments: