CREAMY, DREAMY CUPCAKES

Friday, March 16, 2007

We’re about 168 days away from the Scottsdale opening of Sprinkles—the worshipped Los Angeles cupcakery.

A few years ago while visiting relatives in Los Angeles, I discovered Krispy Kreme donuts. Cars were lining up around the block and waiting 45 minutes to get them. I was thrilled when Krispy Kremes came to Scottsdale. Now they are gone. But not forgotten!

Places to get cupcakes are popping up all over this area. Nationally, this frenzy for cupcakes has been mounting for ages. New York went cupcake crazy about four years ago after Carrie and Miranda gobbled Magnolia Bakery’s confections on Sex and the City. Sprinkles opened in Beverly Hills in 2005, and customers still wait in line for 30 minutes to buy a single red velvet cupcake heaped with cream cheese icing.

Come September, when Sprinkles opens at Scottsdale and Camelback roads, people will line up to wait for cupcakes.

NOT ME! Oh, I like cupcakes alright, but I’m not going to wait in line for them (at least not a long line). The craze for Krispy Kremes died down and so will the craze for these cupcakes. But I will be one happy man when I can walk in and in a few minutes walk out with a red velvet cupcake heaped with cream cheese icing. Or maybe it will be a vanilla-vanilla cupcake or a coconut cupcake with cream cheese icing or better still, maybe I will go for a chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream icing. Decisions, decisions!

See my problem? Oh well, I have at least 168 days or longer to make up my mind.

0 comments: