BE CAREFUL

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Be careful who you give your Social Security number to—even KEZ. “Clifton Ditmore, come on down!"KEZ sent me an e-mail saying I had won $50.00 from Johnny Rockets. “Oh boy, Johnny Rockets. How many chili fries can I buy with $50.00.” They said just bring photo identification and if I couldn’t come just send somebody with a note and my photo identification. Ok! Ok! Sounds good.

The young receptionist looked at my identification, handed me three pages and told me to fill in the information every time I saw an X. I saw two places asking for my social security number. “I don’t want to give you my social security number along with my name, address, etc. because I have had my identity stolen and I am trying to avoid having it happen again. “Well, we have to have it to report to IRS for this.” “But it’s only $50.00 you don’t have to report that to IRS.” “Yes, but you may win more before the year is out.” “Look, I have never won anything in my life and I don’t think I have suddenly become so lucky that I will win $550.00 in the next five months.” “Well, I’m sorry you feel that way but we can’t give you the money without your social security number.”

I had Johnny Rockets and chili fries on my mind so we stopped there for lunch on the way home. It cost me $15.00 and I didn’t have an extra $35.00 in my pocket. But as far as I know, I am still the only one with my identity. I want my identity. I like me. But I don’t like KEZ anymore!

0 comments: