STOPPING BY THE GAS STATION

Monday, March 31, 2008

Believe it or not, there was a time when stopping by the gas station was a pleasure. You pulled up to the pump, rolled down the window and was greeted by a smiling attendant. You said, “Fill ‘er up” with a smile on your face and a lilt to your voice. He filled your tank, checked your oil, water and tires. And then he gave you stamps that could be redeemed for gifts or he may have given you a gift right on the spot—like drinking glasses which you didn’t want but felt the need to collect.

A few days ago when I pulled up to the pump I got out and filled my own tank. I wasn’t greeted by anyone and it’s just as well, I was crying uncontrollably. At the pump in front of me was an older man filling up an SUV. He got in his car and hung his head. I thought he must be writing down mileage or something. However, when I left he was still there with his head down. I feel bad now that I didn’t check on him. He may have had a heart attack!

I have just returned from refilling my propane tank. The price for grilling outside has just gone up. I like steak cooked on the grill but my menu now is going to read: Hamburgers, Hot dogs, and grilled vegetables.

When I was a young unmarried preacher I used to go across the street from the parsonage and visit with a wise old man. I learned a lot from him. We sat outside by the side of his house, leaned our chairs back against the wall and talked of many things. One day I used the expression, “Those were the good ol’ days.” He replied, “No Clif, these are the good ol’ days” meaning these days we are living right now. For over fifty years I have thought he was right. Now today, I feel like the poor old brother was an idiot!

0 comments: