GROCERIES AND GRACE

Saturday, November 08, 2008

We all need a few groceries and a little grace. Both seem hard to come by sometimes. I read the following story in Max Lucado’s splendid book, When God Whispers Your Name, and adapted it for this post.

Seems a fellow is doing some shopping at a commissary on a military base. Doesn’t need much, just some coffee and a loaf of bread. Behind him in line at the checkout is a woman with a full cart. Her basket overflows with groceries, clothing, and a VCR.

As he steps up to the register the clerk says, “Draw a piece of paper from the fishbowl. If you pull out the correct slip, then all your groceries are free.” “How many correct slips’ are there?” asks the buyer. “Only one.”

The bowl is full so the chances are slim. He is surprised when he gets the winning ticket! This fellow turns quickly to the lady behind him and proclaims, “Well, what do you know, Honey? We won! We don’t have to pay a penny.” She stares at him. He winks at her. She steps up beside him. Puts her arm in his and smiles. And for a moment they stand side-by-side, wedded by good fortune. In the parking lot she consummates the temporary union with a kiss and a hug and goes on her way with a grand story to tell.

I know, I know. What they did was a bit shady. He shouldn’t have lied and she shouldn’t have pretended. But that taken into account, it’s still a nice story. A story not too distant from our own. We, too, have been graced with a surprise. Even more than that of the lady. For though her debt was high, she could pay it, we can’t begin to pay ours. We, like the woman, have been given a gift. Not just at the checkout stand, but at the judgment seat.

And we, too, have become a bride. Not just for a moment, but for eternity. And not just for groceries, but for the feast.

15 comments:

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

That is a great story. And to look at it like it's are story as well is such a blessing. Praise the Lord God is good!
Thank-you,
Ginger

Joyfull said...

Cute story with an excellent parallel of the gift of grace we received. Loved it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Brother Clif, may ALL God's children focus daily on our greatest source of confidence - the God Who lives in us.
Blessings-

Cherdecor said...

What a cute story! It made me laugh so hard, and I liked the parallel you drew. We have amazing grace!
Thank you for this interesting post!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Clif,
Max Lucado is one of my favourite authors. Thanks for sharing the story and have a wonderful Spiritual Sunday!

Blessings,
Sandi

God Chaser said...

thanks for sharing, we can't for our gift, but Glory to God Jesus could. Have a wonderful SS

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Wonder what God really thinks of little white lies like this?? I'm thinking it might have been his way of blessing that lady! Neat story, love the parallel!

Katherine

SmilingSally said...

Beautiful metaphor to illustrate the saving grace of God.

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Morning Clif,

You always have the most interesting illustrations. I would have loved attending your church services, I am thankful for you now :).

You are a blessing!
Kathi :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story, Clif. I believe God looked at it as a good deed to share.

I noticed my click to listen wasn't linking, and I fixed it earlier. Thanks for coming by to visit.

Betty said...

That is a touching story. Our preacher today preached on the grace of God.

Anonymous said...

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound... Thanks for the story, Clif.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Pastor Clif..
Awww I loved this story!!
Boy that man was a fast thinker as well as a fast talker lol, probably didn't give the lady chance to blink!!!, but praise the Lord she was blessed never the less lol.

Blessings my brother.. Lorie

Greg P. said...

Very good story and good commentary. Clif, I found your blog at One Sacrifice For All Time. I just thought I'd stop by and say hello.

If you don't mind, I will return later to read more of your posts. I love to read the thoughts of people that love our Savior. I love to learn from them.