HANDBLOWN ART GLASS

Monday, November 24, 2008


Today is my birthday but we have been celebrating for days. At my age you squeeze everything you can out of every special day.

So my wife gave me my first present weeks ago. We were at the Fountain Hills Arts and Craft Festival when I saw this beautiful work of art that I liked but it was entirely too expensive to just be buying. So my dear wife bought it for me for an early birthday present.

The gift is a levitating marble created by Jeff Price. Jeff is a studio-glass blower. He studied for four years under Master Glassblower Rhys Williams. His large, modern studio is in Santa Ana, California. Jeff’s pieces sometimes look like abstract paintings, sometimes like rustic remnants of a by-gone-era, and often like modern interpretations of classical art. My piece of art is his interpretation of the famous “levitating ball” illusion used by the Great Houdini, the master magician of a century ago. It is said he used it to distract his audience while performing some of his most spectacular acts. The illusion is as compelling today as it was then. Each marble is different and each is hand-blown by Jeff.

We can look at my birthday present from our kitchen, breakfast area, family room, up close on the patio and even from our pool. I will be enjoying this gift for years to come.

6 comments:

bp said...

Happy birthday to you! It's fun to celebrate for days. :)

Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving as well.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I just wanted to stop by and say Happy Birthday! The blue glass ball is so pretty.
Have a great Happy Birthday week!.
Ginger

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Happy Birthday to you! :)

SmilingSally said...

Happy birthday, Cliff! I gave you a book for a present. Check your email in the next day or two.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a beautiful piece of artwork! That must be so fun to look at from so many different areas.

I hope you have had a wonderful day, well days, sounds like you have been celebrating for a while!

My grandson, Taylor, is 22 today, he celebrated with his girlfriend tonight, but last night after church his dinner request was to have a huge Sunday Breakfast Supper, with the works (eggs, bacon, biscuits, potatoes, etc!) He is home from college for the holiday. They live in Tallahassee, FL, about four hours from us so we didn't get to join them :-(

Keep on celebrating!!

Katherine

Ms.Daisy said...

Happy Birthday, Clif!

That is such a beautiful gift...enjoy!



~Jean