IN HIS HANDS

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Over a hundred years ago, a group of fishermen were relaxing in the dining room of a Scottish seaside inn, trading fish stores. One of the men gestured widely, depicting the size of a fish that got away. His arm struck the serving maid’s tea tray, sending the teapot flying into the whitewashed wall, where its contents left an irregular brown splotch.


The innkeeper surveyed the damage and sighed, “The whole wall will have to be repainted.”


“Perhaps not,” offered a stranger. “Let me work with it.”


Having nothing to lose, the proprietor consented. The man pulled pencils, brushes, some jars of linseed oil, and pigment out of an art box. He sketched lines around the stains and dabbed shades and colors throughout the splash of teas. In time, an image began to emerge: a stag with a great rack of antlers. The man inscribed his signature at the bottom, paid for his meal, and left. His name: Sir Edwin Landseer, famous painter of wildlife.

In his hands, a mistake became a masterpiece.


God’s hands do the same, over and over. He draws together the disjointed blotches in our life and renders them an expression of his love. We become pictures: “examples of the incredible wealth of his favor and kindness toward us” (Eph.2:7)

.

(Max Lucado told this story in his splendid book, Come Thirsty. He gave credit for the story to Ron Lee Davis and James D. Denny and their book, Mistreated. I now give credit to Max, Ron and James.)

12 comments:

God Chaser said...

A very good story- I can see God's expression of love all over my life. Always taking my mistakes and making something beautiful. Be blessed with a wonderful SS

Cherdecor said...

Clif, I love that story! The analogy is so true to life when we mess up and how God can take our mistakes and make something beautiful. Thank you for posting it.
Blessings,
Cheryl

michelle said...

a good story indeed!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Dear Clif,
You always share such little golden nuggets of wisdom with us. Thank you for reminding us how God can take our messes and turn them into a thing of beauty when we least expect it.

Blessings,
Sandi

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

That is a great story! I love reading all your stories that you share with us.
Thank-you,
Ginger

Amanda said...

You are always so insipirational and encouraging. Thanks for sharing this.

Happy New Year.

SmilingSally said...

I like this one; it allows me to be blotchy me, knowing that the master will create an artwork worthy of viewing.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I am a first time visitor to your blog, and I will certainly be coming back. What a wonderful story to remind us that, if I am open to Him, God will create something good out of my blotchy life. Thank you. laurie

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I can envision the stag as it was being described, then I can envision my Lord working on me...all the time :). A wonderful illustration Clif. You are such an inspiration to me, thank you.

New Year's Blessings,
Kathi :)

Judith said...

Thanks for sharing the story Clif - God bless you, Judith

Ms.Daisy said...

Always an inspiration...thanks for a great story!

Blessings,
Jean

bp said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. I'm glad God can do the same for us! Happy New Year!