GRACIOUSLY RECEIVE

Saturday, January 24, 2009

“Then the devil left Him; and behold

angels came and began to minister to Him.”

Matt. 4: ll


How well do you receive God’s comfort and His ministry to you?

Jesus received all things well—so should we.


My father was in a mental institution when I was born. He remained there the rest of his life. My mother passed away when I was eleven. My sister and her husband took me in. Later I was sent to live with one of my brothers and his wife and then later I lived with another brother and his family. I took my first job when I was in the ninth grade and have been working ever since. I became very independent. Independence is good but it can produce pride and make it hard for you to graciously receive the caring compassion of others.


Perhaps you’re the giving, ministry type. You freely give and share. You give comfort to others. But how well do you receive God’s comfort and His ministry to you? It’s a noble thing to meet the needs of others, but it’s still necessary to admit our own needs.


Is there an angel knocking on your door wanting to help? Get rid of your pride. Let him/her in!


Isn’t it obvious that all angels are sent to help out with those lined up to receive salvation?” Hebrews 1:14


Haven’t seen any angels lately? Don’t be too sure.


“Why some have extended hospitality to angels without ever knowing it!” Hebrews 13:2

14 comments:

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I have a hard time admitting my own needs. Clif thank-you for sharing this story about your life.
God Bless,
Ginger

Ms.Daisy said...

This was a hard lesson for me to learn - that to have a friend you have to learn to be a friend. Thanks Clif for your inspirational post.

~Jean

Ruthie said...

I definately believe there are angels around us!
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you found Charlotte to share your life with. :)
Blessings.

Peggy said...

Blessings Clif...Thank you for sharing part of your personal life story for it indeed carries a message. I appreciate the lesson here.

I know that God sends His angels!
I have been blessed greatly by angels of mercy. I have much compassion but difficult to accept.
I am learning and it is humbling!

I need to do better with what God has given & provided. This is a time when we must truly learn to give & receive! May God bless you & Charlotte with all your needs met!
Bless you for sharing God's wisdom with us and yours! Enjoy your Sunday and may it spiritually bless you!

SmilingSally said...

What an amazing story you must have to tell! So many people would become negative and bitter when socked by so many punches early in life, but instead, you have allowed God to use you. Good life choices! Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sundays.

Anonymous said...

How true. Many moms take care of their family and neglect themselves. It is important to take care of yourself, otherwise you may not be able to take care of those you love.

Shimmy Mom said...

Thank you Clif, I needed this one today. It's a lesson I've heard before, yet I haven't been able to perfect it in my life.

(And I may not think I've seen angels, but I KNOW they are there, I've felt them touch my life many times.)

*hugs*

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Clif,
What an amazing testimony you have to share! God is so good to have brought you through all that and has used you to be a servant of the King. Thank you so much for sharing your story/His story with us today.

Blessings,
Sandi

Joyfull said...

Thank you for sharing a powerful point. As I giver, it is hard for me to receive, but an area that needs to be worked on. Thanks for a beautiful reminder.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Clif, you could have felt sorry for your life losses as a child and taken the other road when you came to that fork in life.

I appreciate you sharing part of your life, you must have a wonderful testimony. God's hands were obviously all over you :).

A wonderful reminder we are never sure when we are entertaining angels.

Have a blessed Sunday,
Kathi :)

michelle said...

Thanks for this!

Beth at Aunties said...

I am so grateful for the many angels around me and KNOW they are there.
In my prior post on Thursday, I didn't mention the word Angels, but they were there, in the ICU Unit.
Thanks for your thought provoking post! I am grateful when I listen to HIS promptings and I can be the earthly angel who helps another. I feel we are his hands here on earth.
I heard recently if we choose to ignor those promptings they will come less often and then not at all. When I have felt in tune with the spirit, it is amazing how often those promptings come.

Thank you also for your comments and I linked Snoopes with whole wonderful truth about Mr Warner:)

Sincerely, Beth

Dixie said...

Clif - your story reminded me so much of my own... and you are right... that independence does make it difficult to accept nurturing and compassion from others... I was fortunate to have a deeply faithful grandmother that nutured both my body and my soul. Thank you for sharing a snipit of your story.

ps... love the pics of you and your wife on your sidebar... Smart man... knew a keeper when he saw her!

blessings. Dixie

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

How God has blessed you throughout your life. To rise above hardship and become the wonderful man of God you are is not only a blessing, it's a miracle! PTL!

Katherine