BEING LOVED MEANS BEING CHOSEN

Saturday, April 18, 2009

The following is from a book called The Whisper Test which I first read in John Ortberg's book, Love Beyond Reason. I am repeating this today because it is one of my favorite stories.

I grew up knowing I was different, and I hated it. I was born with a cleft palate, and when I started school, my classmates made it clear to me how I looked to others: a little girl with a misshapen lip, crooked nose, lopsided teeth, and garbled speech. When schoolmates asked, "What happened to your lip?" I'd tell them I'd fallen and cut it on a piece of glass. Somehow it seemed more acceptable to have suffered an accident than to have been born different. I was convinced that no one outside my family could love me.

There was, however, a teacher in the second grade whom we all adored--Mrs Leonard by name. She was short, round, happy--a sparkling lady.

Annually we had a hearing test..Mrs Leonard gave the test to everyone in the class, and finally it was my turn. I knew from past years that as we stood against the door and covered one ear, the teacher sitting at her desk would whisper something, and we would have to repeat it back--things like "The sky is blue" or "Do you have new shoes?" I waited there for those words that changed my life. Mrs. Leonard said, in her whisper, "I wish you were my little girl."

Love confers a kind of choseness on the one who is loved.

21 comments:

Lisa said...

Priceless!

Charlotte said...

I agree with Lisa.
Charlotte

Karen said...

That is a very moving story.
I love the picture of Clif and Charlotte in 1948. Thank you for commenting at Lily Valley.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Now that's a tear jerker! Thank the Lord for teachers like Mrs. Leonard, who will allow herself to be used to encourage a lonely little girl! Very moving; thank you for sharing.
Have a wonderful Sunday.

Blessings,
Sandi

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

BTW, I'm really enjoying my new book! Thank you!

Sue said...

This is so touching!! I am thanking God tonight for a few of my past teachers who showed this type of kindness to me as a young child.We need more
teachers in our schools today like Mrs Leonard!!

Children are so special if we all would realize what a difference we could make in their lives. Thank you so much for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

Julie said...

That was beautiful...Thank you for all the Mrs Leonard's in the world!
Have a wonderful Sunday...Julie

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This made me cry! What a wonderful story to share!
Ginger

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a sweet story! Unconditional love!

Katherine

Melly said...

"I wish you were my little girl" gave me goosebumps and reduced me to tears, life changing words indeed.
Oh how I wish for Mrs Leonard's in everyone's life and I pray that I would be a Mrs Leonard to a hurting heart.

Romans 8:28 is such a beautiful promise, thank you so much Cliff for sharing your favorite with me I needed this reminder of this precious promise.

God Bless you :)
Melly:)

SmilingSally said...

Ah, the power of a kind word! Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Miti said...

That so uplifting! Thanks, Mr. Cliff. Oh...BTW, I wanted to congratulate you and Charlotte on your spiritual blog award!

Dixie said...

Clif - your posts are always an inspiration. This one, a gem.

blessings. Dixie

Southern Lady said...

What a sweet and precious story. I was fortunate to be blessed with several teachers like Mrs. Leonard during my early school years, and their many kindnesses will forever live in my heart.

Thank you so much for sharing this tender and inspiring story with us.

Sincerely,

Janie

Beth at Aunties said...

This was a tender story and I am so glad you shared it.
We all need that affirmation in our lives.
Bless your heart! Have a beautiful sabbath:)

Saleslady371 said...

I just read this out loud to my daughter who I am visiting and we both were touched! Thank you!

Betty Jo said...

What a wonderful story of love. Thank you for sharing.

Clif thank you too for visiting my blog today and leaving such a heartfelt comment. I'll pass your comment along to my son.

I adore the photos on your sidebar of you and your wife.

God Chaser said...

what a wonderful story-thanks so very much for sharing. How this little girl's life must have changed following this encounter. blessings

kymber said...

Sounds like a great book. It just goes to show - words can hurt or words can heal! The tongue is powerful and should be used to lift up instead of tear apart.

I am enjoying the book that you sent to me! 'A work in Progress" - Almost finished and then I will do my book review post. Again - I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

I enjoy reading your book reviews. It is nice to find books with substance. I don't have a lot of time to read and when I do - I love to read books with substance. I look forward to reading the book "The Hole in Our Gospel" that you recommended. I found a version to download off the internet. Thanks for the suggestion!
Blessings,
Kymber

bp said...

Oh wow, this is so sweet and touching.

Hope your week is bright and blessed!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh, for more Mrs. Leonards in this world!

Thanks so much for sharing this moving story.

Stephanie
Angelic Accents