MENTAL RESURRECTION

Monday, May 11, 2009

When I became a Christian my father was resurrected.

When I was growing up the mentally handicapped were referred to as lunatics who belonged in insane asylums. In the 30's, 40's and even later these people were looked upon as hopeless and needed to be put away from society.

Shortly after my mother became pregnant with me, my father was committed to a mental institution. He remained there for the rest of his life and a large part of mine.

It was easier for me to write "deceased" describing him on a written form or when asked about him to just say he was dead.

It wasn't until I became a Christian at seventeen or eighteen that I was able to face the truth and tell the truth! My father was resurrected in my mind.

I have just finished reading a book on this subject by Steve Luxenberg that left me breathless. I will be reviewing this book in a few days. Bob Woodward said this is one of the most remarkable books he has ever read.

Steve Luxenberg's mother carried the same kind of secret about her sister that I did about my father. His book helps to understand the great growth that has been made in the treatment of people born with what we now call special needs.

I hope you will watch for my review. I think you may want to read this remarkable and interesting book. It reads like a detective story. It's hard to put down.

2 comments:

SmilingSally said...

It sounds as if you connected to this one.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My husband is on disability due to bipolar disease.

We've come a long way understanding mental illness in society but I find in the church there is still such a stigma.