MAKING PICKLES

Tuesday, June 30, 2009



My mother-in-law made great pickles. At least we thought they were great.

Charlotte made pickles a few times after her mother passed away.

Charlotte likes pickles. I like pickles. Our daughter loves pickles.

Charlotte decided she likes Bubbies' pickles and it's easier to buy pickles than make pickles.

Our daughter likes Bubbies but she likes "Granny pickles" better.

I now make Granny style pickles.

I only make two jars at a time--one for our daughter, one for us.

It's really not hard. If I can do it, anybody can do it.

Do you like homemade pickles?

6 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Well, come on, Clif, share that recipe!

To answer your question, no, I've never made pickles. My mom had me working in the kitchen preserving all sorts of vegetables and fruit, but never cucumbers--pickles.

bp said...

This brought back memories of bread and butter pickles. I made them with cucumbers from our garden and entered them in the winter in the local fair. I didn't like eating them then. I didn't like how they tasted. Now they have them at a bbq place we go to and I always have to get a few on my plate!

Mevely317 said...

'Embarrassed to admit, I probably couldn't identify a homemade pickle from the rest. Never much cared for 'em, EXCEPT those months when I was expecting my son. (Now, doesn't that sound like a tired chiche! ... but true.)

My hubby adores pickles, particularly those sold at Famous Daves BBQ.

'Just back from Florida (and NO internet access) I'm soooo enjoying catching up on blog-land. Thank you for the prayers re. our safe flight!

Have a sweet, restful evening!

Myra

Kelly said...

My parents made pickles just one time when I was growing up. I remember it taking them a long time and it was hard work. I have never tried it, but would love for you to share how you do yours just two jars at a time.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I love pickles, dill and sweet! I tried making them once, but failed :-( I have never heard of Bubbies.
What are Granny pickles?

Katherine

ChristyJan said...

I just tried a NEW recipe for Summertime Sweet Pickles ~ they have to sit in the fridge for 24 hours, so we'll see how they turned out tomorrow.

I'd like to see your recipe for Granny Style Pickles ~ please?