MY MOTHER PLAYED THE PIANO

Saturday, June 06, 2009

John William Smith is one of America's best storytellers. The following is a story of his and the name of one of his books, My Mother Played the Piano. I have edited it for length.
My mother played the piano. She played mostly by ear, I think, but she often looked at the notes too. She played "Red River Valley," "When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again," and Mexicali Rose"--but mostly she played church songs.

Sometimes when I came in to get a drink or some needed thing or to ask if I could go farther than normal, she would say, "John, come here and sing this with me." She didn't say it like a command or an order or anything--not like when she said, "Go clean the chicken coop," or "Go hoe the garden." She would just say it like a request or like she would appreciate it as a favor. I usually didn't want to. I was afraid my friends would hear through the open windows--or , worse yet, that they would ask, "What took you so long?" And I would have to say, "I was singing some church songs with my mother."

When I did sing with her you can't imagine how excited she would be when we finished. "Isn't that the prettiest song you ever heard?" She would exclaim. If I thought it was something less that that--I certainly kept it to myself. Sometimes I was so sullen that she would slowly close the book, pat me on the shoulder, and say, "You go on back to your friends, now. We'll do this some other time." I don't know how many times it happened before I noticed that when I went back outside, I didn't hear the piano or singing any more that day.

It wouldn't have cost me much--and it meant so much to her. I look back with regret and tears for my insensitivity.

Sometimes in my mind I can see that old white house with the white curtains moving at the open windows; and through those open windows, I see those nimble fingers moving on the keys, and I hear her voice.
"There's a land that is fairer than day, And by faith we can see it afar; For the Father waits over the way, To prepare us a dwelling place there. In the sweet by and by, We shall meet on that beautiful shore.

"Come on, John," she coaxes. "It will only take a minute." And in my mind I say "I'm coming Mom," and I rush to her with joy because I know how happy it will make her.

And it is, you know, the most beautiful song I ever heard.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! As you know my mother didn't play the piano but she loved to sing church songs.
Charlotte

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a touching post! I have always been deeply moved by music, whether it be piano or symphony. God is our Choir Director and Music Pastor. Thanks for sharing and may you have a wonderful Sunday.

Blessings,
Sandi

Loren said...

oh my what a sweet sweet post!

thankyou, may we all see how precious our loved ones are and how each moment is to be cherished!

blessing to you Clif!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Once again your post brought tears to my eyes. This was a geat story I'm glad you shared it with us.

God Bless,

Ginger

SmilingSally said...

The key is "how happy it will make her." Pleasing others is a worthy use of our time. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Lisa said...

So sweet! It's an excellent reminder that the little things we do for others sometimes mean the most.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

You really need to offer tissues with your blog posts! :0)

Great memory and I'm sure she just loved having you there even if you didn't feel like singing.

Ashley ~ said...

I loved this sweet story*! Thanks for the reminder to not let speical moments with people we love go by and then have regrets later. _Ashley ~

michelle said...

you always find such sensitive things to post... =]

Saleslady371 said...

What a great message to all of us. I'm so glad you shared it; it really made me think.

Cheptoek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheptoek said...

Yes, sometimes we take a lot for granted. Thank you for reminding us with this story. And as Cheryl said in response to the "Half a brain post", we need the spirit of God to keep this in mind too. Blessings.

jeanne said...

Hello Clif, a story like that makes one realize that sometimes we do something to please someone rather than because we want to. It is a wonderful thing when we realize the blessing of making someone we love happy. thank you for sharing this today.

Blessings...Jeanne

Barbara said...

Cliff, Thanks for coming to my blog and leaving a comment.
Hope you will come again. I have a favor to ask. Debbie at There an Angel on My Front Porch has a daughter with cancer and she will undergo some surgery on Wednesday, will you please pray for her, her name is Amy.
Thanks,
Barbara

Karen said...

That is such a beautiful story. My mother and I used to sing together as we washed the supper dishes. We would sing hymns, and she would sing soprano and I would sing alto.
That is one of my favorite memories.

Valerie said...

Oh I loved that! Thankfully I still have my mother but it brought back memories of my grandmother. I agree you need a tissue warning on your posts!

Cherdecor said...

My mother played the piano and she had such a wonderful style. Everyone loved it! When I would hear my mother play, no matter what I was doing, I would stop and I would run to her side and sing along with her. My sisters and I sang in a trio while Mother played for us. We always loved when she played because if we made a mistake, she would cover for us. She had remarkable talent!

Thanks for this post. I had not thought of these childhood memories for quite some time.