PRESIDENT REAGAN, JELLY BEANS AND ME

Friday, June 12, 2009


Years ago while living in California I visited the state capitol when Ronald Reagan was Governor.

He had a jar of Jelly Beans on his desk.

I was intrigued. I started keeping a jar on my desk. I have a jar of Jelly Belly beans on my desk now.



JELLY BELLIES AND RONALD REAGAN

Soon after Ronald Reagan became Governor of California in 1967, he began eating “pectin” jelly beans made by Herman Goelitz Candy Company, in order to help him give up a pipe-smoking habit. When Herman Goelitz’s Jelly Bellies first appeared on the market in 1976, Reagan quickly switched to them.

Three-and-a-half tons of Jelly Bellies were shipped to the White House for the 1981 Inaugural festivities. Blueberry, one of the most popular current flavors, was developed for President Reagan’s inauguration so that there would be red, white and blue jelly beans at the festivities. A jar of Jelly Bellies on the Cabinet table.

Before Reagan became President, his Jelly Bellies were supplied by Herman Roland, who lived in Los Angeles, and who was a cousin of the two Goelitz brothers who founded the candy company in 1869. After Reagan moved to the White House, his Jelly Bellies were apparently supplied directly from Goelitz headquarters in the Chicago area.*

President Reagan’s favorite Jelly Belly flavor was licorice.

* From 1978 to 2001 Jelly Bellies were jointly manufactured by two companies, based in northern California and the Chicago area respectively. In 2001 the two companies, Herman Goelitz Candy Company (California) and Goelitz Confectionery Company (Chicago area), combined into one corporation named Jelly Belly Candy Company.

4 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Just this past Easter, I sprinkled three colors of Jelly Bellies on my table as an edible part of the decor. I used blueberry, cherry, and lemon. They're sooo good.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I learned something new today, thank-you. Now I think I may have to go buy some Jelly Bellies, they sure sound good right about now.
Have a great day,
Ginger

Warren Baldwin said...

I remember Reagan's fancy for Jelly Beans. I don't believe I've ever tried this brand, but I've heard they were good. Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday.

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
I started eating "Jellie Bellies" when Reagan was in office and I heard about them being so good. My favorites are cherry and lemon.
I just received "Jantsen's Gift" in today's mail and will be posting about it this week. Can't wait to read it.Thanks again!


~Jean