THE CHURCH FAMILY

Friday, September 18, 2009

When I was in my teens and would give a "talk" at church the elderly ladies would gather around me and tell me that our preacher had better start worrying about his job. I couldn't preach for beans but they told me I was wonderful. I pray God will forgive them for their lies.

I grew up working in grocery stores. I learned many things. Things that helped me as a minister. But I didn't have anyone to teach me the various trades like electrical work, plumbing, mechanical work and other things a man needs or likes to know. I learned all these things from working with men from church.

I thought about this yesterday when I was installing some new light fixtures on the front of the garage.

This morning Charlotte and I will be going to see an old friend from church that we both learned much from. He taught me how to do all kinds of work around the house and in the yard. When we arrived at our new church in Phoenix, he and his wife picked us up every day and took us around to visit the elderly members. He said, "If you want to get to know them, you had better do it now."

We are going to see him today because he is elderly, confined to his home and not doing well. We remember well all the things he taught us and we feel like he is a part of our family--our church family.

I hope you have a family like this. Family means a lot.

7 comments:

Loren said...

Clif,

I have said before sometimes you make me laugh, sometimes you teach me, and sometimes you make me cry.....this post would be one that made me cry.
Mentors are such gifts from the LORD and I am thankful for your relationship with the gentleman and pray your visit will be precious!

Even though you live in Arizona this is how I feel about you and Charlotte ~ you are like family and while you may not physically be hands on teachers, you both teach and plant seeds over this blogland and I am thankful for having both of you as part of my family!

May you both be blessed today!

rcubes said...

And that would definitely touch him so much! What a wonderful brother he is to both of you...May God bless you all and give your friend His comfort. Have a great weekend to you and sister Charlotte. I'm still reading "The Power To Change Today"..I'm kinda' slow :) Good book though! Thank you for sharing that book bro. Clif.

Saleslady371 said...

Jesus was all about relationship. So when we embrace our Christian family I think we please Him.

Mary said...

I still remember some of the elder members of the churches I've attended...they taught me lessons that I will never forget. I feel the way Loren does...I've only been blogging since the end of June, and have "met" many wonderful people, but if I had to choose only two to stay in contact with, it would be you and Charlotte. I have a church family, but sometimes they are like my physical family...not really connected. You two connect with many...you plant seeds of wisdom, you cultivate with your encouraging words...perhaps you are the only church family they know. God bless!

Mary

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Clif,
You always bless me with your posts so full of honesty and wisdom! I love the elderly in the church. They have lived a lifetime of dreams and failures but they are pleased to share their wisdom with you. Enjoy your visit today and I know he will be blessed by your and Charlotte's company.

Blessings,
Sandi

Lisa said...

How wonderful it is to have someone who has sowed such wisdom into your life. Have a great visit!

SmilingSally said...

What a handyman you turned out to be--installing lights! I'm happy for your longtime friend that he lives close enough for you and Charlotte to visit.