MY LITTLE WORLD

Friday, November 20, 2009


THE BIRDS ARE BACK: Yes, the birds are back--Snow Birds that is. The swallows return to Capistrano every year and the Snow Birds return to Arizona but the numbers have been down the last two years. This year, however, they have come back in large numbers. Yesterday Charlotte and I saw a couple from Minnesota driving along in a convertible with the top down. I told her that they would send all their relatives and friends back home a card with the following message: "Having great time in Scottsdale. We have been driving around with the top down and getting a tan."

THANKSGIVING: "With the number of turkeys I'm having to handle, by Thanksgiving I won't even want to look at a turkey." The older lady bagging our grocery's at Fry's Market had seen all the turkeys she wanted to see. She was understandably tired! I suspect that come Thanksgiving Day she along with most of us will be happy to see the turkey and thankful for it, all the food that goes with it and all of our blessings.

HOW DO THEY DO IT?: "Up, Up and Away"! Yesterday there was a computer problem someplace and flights all over were fouled up. Needless to say people were unhappy. I used to travel much more than I do now and the worst experience I can remember was trying to get out of Paris on a flight back home. Flights were backed up. Changes had to be made. It was a mad house and they either couldn't understand English or needed to pretend they didn't. We did finally get home--of course. Being in the safety and security of home I can think sanely (Kinda). I am sincerely grateful for airplanes, those who fly them and all that goes into making this kind of travel possible. I AM TRULY AMAZED AND THANKFUL FOR THOSE WHO DO ALL THESE WONDERFUL THINGS FOR ME THAT I CAN'T DO FOR MYSELF!

BRING ON THE TURKEY AND DRESSING: When the turkey and everything that goes with it is placed on the table, I go for the dressing. It hasn't always been this way. When I was a kid I couldn't stand it. But now that I am older--much older and a little wiser, I love dressing!

TRULY THANKFUL: I'm praying this morning that you are as blessed as I am. Wow! With all the craziness that goes on all around us, isn't it amazing that God somehow lifts us above it all and leads us on? I start off every morning reading the newspaper and then with a cup of coffee in my hand I sit down to watch the morning news. It is mostly bad, bad, bad. I sit there and complain, complain, complain. I hope I complain because I care and not because I am ungrateful. I want to be a grateful person. Not just this time of the year--but always!

12 comments:

Loren said...

Clif,

Sounds beautiful there in Scottsdale!! Today we are cold and rainy so no convertible for us :)

I am very thankful and very grateful and feel I become more and more so as I get older LOL why? I haven't a clue but it's true. I feel for all the people right now who work in any form of customer service bc it seems as though people are less patient, more outspoken. One of my friends works for American Airlines and she says it just gets worse and worse ~ the attitudes of people and the words they choose...I can't even imagine. I sooo look forward to walking the streets of Gold and experiencing a true JOY filled atmosphere with Love and Laughter OHhhhh what a glorious day (s) it will be......AND.....I will have the honor of being with you and Charlotte.....Oh my day just got better just thinking of it :)

Love and Blessings to you :)

Jackie said...

Good Morning Scottsdale!!

I follow you wifes blog and popped in for a visit.....really enjoyed your ponderings....We're in Prescott and used to live in Scottsdale and oh what a wonderful place it is, particularly this time of year!!

Enjoyed the part about the check out lady in Fry's...I was in Frys Prescott Valley yesterday and someone had about two dozen turkey's to check-out and I thought the person at the register was gonna faint....seriously the cart was overflowing with birds!!

Pray that you and your wife have a most blessed Thanksgiving!!

Blessings!
Jackie

aspiritofsimplicity said...

If you are seeing more snowbirds from New England down there this year it's because we had record breaking snowfall here last year. Not to mention an ice store in early December that knocked electricity in some places for nearly two weeks.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Clif... I think we had more snowbirds the year before as well. Of course, we are never too short on them here in Florida, and we love them and are thankful for their presence!

This may sound a little shallow, but I have quit watching the news. I just quit altogether. I figure if it's big enough, then someone will tell me. And this has worked well. I can sleep at night. I think the main news I want to know and give is the good news in the Lord! :-)

Sending you wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Cheptoek said...

Thank you for these tid bits on gratitude. It is very easy to get stuck in the despair around. But it is always good to remember Who is in control. That gives me hope.

Mary said...

I really enjoyed your post today, Clif...I always do, but I just like the way you found so many things in life to think on and talk about...I like the variety.

I have always loved Scottsdale...we lived in Phoenix, and my brother lived in Scottsdale. If we could move, that is probably where were would go.

The turkey story is great...all those birds were probably being purchased for a charity...I hope so, anyway. Turkey is one of my favorite foods, and we eat it all year long, though I only buy the parts, and not the whole bird. Every time I cook it, we think of Thanksgiving, and we are reminded of God's goodness in our lives...it isn't always material...many times, our blessings come from the peace within, and the family that loves us.

I agree...God did give all of us different gifts and abilities, so that we could function in this world that He made, and so that we would be interdependent...we should be grateful for what God has given to others, and respect their work.

Even with the scary events of our nation bombarding us on t.v. and newspapers, and I watch and read daily, you and Charlotte always seem to give us a special glimps into your life in Scottsdale, and it is sweet and calm...just what we all need and want for ourselves. Thanks for sharing it with all of us in blogland!

God bless,
Mary

Mevely317 said...

Your comments re. "snowbirds" sure made me smile! Just yesterday I arrived at work wearing a parka; and not long after, here comes a parade of "pale folk" in swimwear heading for the pool! Brrrr!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Hi Clif,
Here in FL we get flocks of snowbirds here too!

You didn't tell us what your dressing has in it. I make our old family recipe, (Southern) it is made with cornbread, biscuits, celery, onions, etc! Yummy! I like it better than the turkey too!

Thank you for your message. I'm never sure if people want those political messages, so I appreciate your comment. I promise I won't bombard you with them. Some of them are just too good, not to share! LOL!

Katherine

Ms.Daisy said...

Hi Clif,
I'm thankful for your blog! I always find something in your thoughts to make me laugh, cry or ponder!
I'm going to be with my family again this year and for that I am truly grateful.


Jean

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I read your post today and then I went to Charlotte's and she recommended yours, so I just thought I would come back and leave a comment to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I can sure relate to the lady at Fry's.
Ginger

Organizational Development Services Plus said...

Good Morning Clif (and Charlotte)

Yes indeed, the snowbirds are returning to AZ, NM, FL, and So CA. They are good for the economy:-).

Have a great T-Day and don't eat too much dressing.

Mike & Kathy

Cherdecor said...

Scottsdale sounds like a beautiful place to spend the winter. Our day was in the 50's and that seemed warm so Alan mowed the lawn.

An interesting thing happened to us today. We ran to Walmart and as we drove up, we noticed five police cars in front. Two policemen were putting two men into the police car. Five store police were at the entry doors. As we walked through the aisles, several store police walked by us. As we left several stood at the exit doors, then outside were still more. We have NEVER seen anything like it. Shop lifting must be on the rise. I think we better move to Scottsdale.