IS QUITTING EVER THE RIGHT THING TO DO?

Friday, February 12, 2010

Yes, sometimes it is. There are some things that continued in, do more harm than good.

Generally speaking we should never quite. Certainly we should not quit just because we find the going too tough, too boring or because somebody tells us we should.

During my years of ministry (1957-2004) preachers moved on the average of every two years. It seemed to me, that some friend of mine was always quitting full-time ministry. Sometimes--many times, they were fired. Which means the congregation quit on them.

I didn't quit! I was fifteen years at my last church and twenty the one before that. About most things I agree with Winston Churchill: "Never, never, never give up."

However, over the years there were many "church" projects that I gave up on and quit. It would have been silly to have continued with failing programs and cherished projects that were not working. The church is slow to recognize when it's time to stop pouring time, money and energy into projects than cannot succeed.

Our government and society in general is the same way. Think of all the government run programs that need to be scrapped. For one thing, we should have term limits for congress and all their perks and huge retirement benefits should be taken away today. Stop it! Quit, in other words.

I never thought I would say this but I will, "Some marriages need to stop." I can hear all the screams now!

And Sarah Palin is probably the only one who can honestly know if she should have quit being governor of Alaska. If you say, "She should have finished the term she was elected to." I ask, "Why?"

Don't just bumble along through life following all the rules and regulations that we have made and placed upon ourselves unless it is the best thing to do.

Never, never, never give up--unless you and everybody concerned will be better off.

1 comments:

Mevely317 said...

This may just be my favorite of your posts ... at least in the top 5!