LEARN TO BE KIND

Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Love is patient and kind." l Corinthians 13:4

This very attractive woman said, "From the day I started to school, clear up through college, everyone made fun of my legs. As you can see, they look like tree stumps." Then she stood up, and they did.

"You know how children are, she said when she sat down to continue her story. They can be cruel. Sometimes when I was little I would cry myself to sleep. As I grew older, I laughed with them to cover up. In high school I dated some but never more than a couple of times with any one boy and you can guess why. "

"When I was a freshman in college I met Mark. He never made one single reference to my legs. But I did. Then one night he took my hands in his and said,'Frances, I want you to quit knocking yourself. I love you the way you are. The Lord gave you good, sturdy legs. They give me a solid feeling and I like it.' You know what I did," she said, "I cried.

"Then one week," she continued, "he took me home, and when I met his mother I wanted to cry again. She was cripple, She wore a shoe that was built up and she walked with a limp. So I looked at him and he looked at me and I think I loved him right then like nobody ever loved a man before

"Do you know," she concluded, "that was thirteen years ago and now I can honestly laugh about my legs. Can you see why I say he's wonderful? There isn't one thing in the world I wouldn't do for Mark!"

(The above was adapted from Charlie Shedd's wonderful little book, Letters to Philip on how to treat a woman.)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and wonderful post, to remind us just how kind true love is. Happy Valentine's Day to
you and your sweetheart. You both are such a blessing on Spiritual Sundays!

RCUBEs said...

That's a heartwarming story. Happy "love" day to another awesome couple I know: you and sister Charlotte. God bless you both.

Gayle said...

Loved this post. Blessings to you.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

awesome.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Clif, I recognized the story from the first paragraph. I love, love Charlie Shedd's books, both Letters to Philip and Letters to Karen. Such inspiring reads. I think every young person should read them before marrying.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a beautiful and touching story, Clif! Loved this post; thank you. Happy Valentines Day to you and your beautiful wife. Enjoy a beautiful Sunday.

Blessings,
Sandi

Debbie said...

I just loved this story. What a wonderful thing "true" love is. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day with your sweet wife. Blessings, Debbie

Loren said...

Sniff sniff ~ this is precious and I am definately going to check this book out! Never heard of this before!

Thank you Clif for sharing this and for being a sweet godly man!

Have a Happy Valentines Day and enjoy your sweetheart!

Denise said...

Such a sweet, sweet post.

LivingforGod said...

Kind words go a longgggggg way :). Thanks for sharing this touching story.

a collection of days said...

I remember a woman who grew up during the depression telling me something that her mother used to say to her. It was, "no one is ever so bad off that there isn't some one who has it worse than they do."
This story reminds me of that.
And, you just never know how far a tiny bit of kindness can take you.

LeAnn said...

Lovely story! Thanks for taking the time to write this down so that we could share in its beauty. ~

Djfshop said...

This story touched me! May your Valentine Day be blessed.

Lisa said...

Great love story! I'm all about the happily ever after. :)

bp said...

I've not read that before, what a great story.

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Bethany

Cathy said...

Such a sweet story ~ Happy Valentine's Day!

SmilingSally said...

Truly they were made for each other. Happy Valentine's Day.

Renee said...

What a beautiful story! It really touched me today.
God bless~

Sandy said...

I had read this story before, too, but enjoyed reading it again! Thank youf for sharing.
"Love is Kind" is very important, too.
Hope you & Charlotte had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

This is a wonderful Post!Kindness is a quality I value greatly.
Happy Valentine's Day !
Blessings,
~Myrna

Rhodema @ MommyLife said...

Wow - that makes me cry. What a beautiful illustration of LOVE.

Thank you for sharing, Clif.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This brought tears to my eyes.
Thank-you for this story.
Ginger

Lily Dawn said...

What a great story... Thank you for sharing!! =)

Lily

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

What a truly moving story this was. Too often we take those little things for granted in the people who are in our lives. It's times like these we need to stop and remember.

Please make sure to stop by my blog today to enter a great giveaway.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
What a lovely story and such a good lesson to be learned here - "beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" Thanks!


Jean

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog, thanks for visiting DOWNLOBLOLLYLANE.
God bless!