IN ARIZONA YOU HAVE TO HAVE ICE

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

When I was a kid growing up in Oklahoma we had an ice box--not a refrigerator, an ice box.

We bought a block of ice, put it in the top of the ice box and it was suppose to keep the things in the box cool. When the ice melted the water ran into a pan under the box. If you forgot to "watch" it, the water ran over on the floor. What a mess.

None of that today. We just push a glass against a gadget on the front of the refrigerator and out comes a glass full of ice. Or that's the way it's suppose to work and does most of the time.

Well, ours stopped working as it should. For some reason it got "mad" and ran water all over the place. The man came, put a new water valve on and called it "fixed." Evidently it was in a "pouting" stage and he said it would be twenty-four hours before it made ice again. He was right. It finally started making ice.

And then--it got "mad" again and water ran all in the refrigerator, out onto the kitchen floor and into the food pantry. He came back. He said, "This is your lucky day. Today you get a new ice maker, free of charge." I asked, "Are you fairly sure this will fix the problem?" He said, "I am completely sure!" But I already knew that since the refrigerator was "pouting" that it would be twenty-four hours before we would see any ice.

Well, it's been almost forty-eight hours and there is no ice, no water running into the ice maker to make ice---and no repair man in sight!

It's almost noon. I'm sitting here waiting. You say," What's the big deal? There are suffering people in the world who don't even know what ice is and they don't even have drinking water."
I know. I know. That's why I feel so ashamed. And if we don't get this thing fixed by June or July, and it looks like we may not, I would settle for the old ice box and a block of ice.

Did you ever have an ice box that you bought ice for? Do you still have it? May I borrow it?

6 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I don't remember having an ice box that had to have ice bought for it, but I grew up calling the refrigerator an ice box.

You may need to buy a refrigerator with a nicer disposition.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Clif, you make me smile! I love your posts like this!! I hope you get your temperamental refrigerator fixed soon! When our two and a half year old grandson gets mad and pouts we ignore him, but I am always tempted to spank him! LOL!

It seems we have to replace our ice maker every two years or so, way too often, and I still worry about it overflowing when we are on trips!

I don't remember the family ever having an ice box, but we did call our refrigerator an "ice box!" Then we started calling it a "Refrigerdaire" when we felt ice box was no longer in vogue! Hee-hee!!

Katherine

I haven't started reading the book yet, hope to soon!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Well I have to admit that at least you have running water. I only say this because we have no water, our water heater broke,they will be out in the morning with a new one.
But never the less I hope that you have ice soon.
Blessings,
Ginger

Cherdecor said...

Call the ice man! He will get some ice for you. We actually have an ice man around here, believe it or not! If you need ice for a party or for your fruit stand, just give him a call.

bp said...

Our ice maker is broken. We intended to get it fixed and it is still not. We haven't called anyone yet. With the recent death we were busy and gone so it just didn't get done.

Also, I found out yesterday my hubby is going on a business trip to Arizona in May!

bp said...

Our ice maker is broken. We intended to get it fixed and it is still not. We haven't called anyone yet. With the recent death we were busy and gone so it just didn't get done.

Also, I found out yesterday my hubby is going on a business trip to Arizona in May!