SOME OF US REFUSE TO CHANGE---NOT EVEN FOR GOD

Saturday, April 16, 2011

WE SING LOUD AND CLEAR:
I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord,
O'er mountain or plain or sea;
I'll say what you want me to say, dear Lord,
I'll be what you want me to be

AND FOR THE MOST PART, WE AT LEAST TRY TO BE TRUE TO THOSE WORDS.

BUT WHEN IT COMES TO DOCTRINAL MATTERS---NOT ABSOLUTES MIND YOU, BUT JUST DOCTRINAL MATTERS IN GENERAL---WE REFUSE TO CHANGE!  WE WILL  NOT BUDGE! 

RACHEL HELD EVANS SAID IT LIKE THIS: "...evolution within the souls of individuals happens every day, whenever we adapt our faith to change. Evolution means letting go of our false fundamentals so that God can get into those shadowy places we're not sure we want him to be. It means being okay with being wrong, okay with not having all the answers, okay with never being finished."

WE HEAR HER WORDS AND AGREE THAT WE FIND IT HARD TO CHANGE OUR MINDS ON SOME THINGS WE HAVE BELIEVED ALL OUR LIVES. BUT THEN WE HURRY ON TO SAY, "BUT WE DO CHANGE." AND I SAY, "YES, YES WE DO. ON MANY THINGS. BUT MY EXPERIENCE OVER THE YEARS HAS BEEN THAT FEW OF US---VERY FEW, WILL CHANGE OUR DOCTRINAL BELIEFS EVEN WHEN WE SEE THAT THE SCRIPTURES CLEARLY CALL FOR IT.

"MAMA SAID SO. THE PREACHER SAID SO. MAMA'S GONE. THE PREACHER IS DEAD. BUT I JUST CAN'T GO AGAINST WHAT THEY TAUGHT."

GOD IS ALIVE AND WELL. WHAT ABOUT WHAT HE TEACHES?



5 comments:

Charlotte said...

Amen. Good thoughts.
Love,
Charlotte

Nikki (Sarah) said...

good thoughts....thanks for this Cliff. Hope your weekend is a good one.

Renee said...

A good challenge for us, Clif. We all need to ponder this at times. God bless.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I have to agree with your wife AMEN!
Ginger

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I just wanted to let you know that Wayne printed this post to share at church today,thank-you.
God Bless,
Ginger