THE FRONT PAGE OF THE PAPER IS A LIE

Thursday, October 13, 2016



Truth. I like the sound of the word. My mother taught me what it meant. I grew up with it.

Naive. I didn't know this word growing up. But I know now it is a word that describes me when I was young. Ignorant, immature, trusting. I like trusting best.

I trusted and respected all adults. Mothers, fathers, teachers, preachers, policemen (I didn't know any police women), crossing guards. I din't know any politicians but I would have trusted them.

One day the lamp flickered. I don't know when it was I only know it happened. Not suddenly. Not all at once. Slowly but surely the lamp went out and the flood lights came on.

I could see more clearly now.

But it wasn't a day for rejoicing. The joy of trust was gone. The spring time days of trust were gone.
Discernment was needed. I didn't know who to trust. I wasn't sure I could trust myself.

The newspaper was one of my favorite things that I carried from youth into adulthood. The newspaper is where I found all kinds of truth. Truth from A to Z.

It's been months since I heard the old, familiar thump of a paper plotting on the driveway in front of the house. CANCEL! STOP DELIVERY!

SAD. I almost get teary eyed thinking about it. And then I get mad.

What you read on the front page of the paper is a lie. The stories told there are not my stories. Not your stories.

The front page of the paper doesn't tell about all the husbands that kissed their wives good-bye in the morning before leaving for work and then remained faithful all day.

The front page of the paper doesn't tell about all the young people who went to school this morning, went to work in the afternoon or just went about doing what was right and good.

Read the paper with discernment. Some news is good. Some is bad. Some people are good. Some are bad.

I pray for the day when your son or daughter can pick up the paper and read it knowing that what he/she reads is as close to the truth as it can possibly be---and that it is fair to all concerned.

I pray they want to be part of that truth. I pray they grow up wanting to do the right thing.

Maybe, just maybe they will become an honest reporter.


Share |

0 comments: