The Emotions of Worship

Sunday, November 20, 2005

In 1957 I graduated from Abilene Christian and became the Minister of Preaching at El Monte Church of Christ in El Monte, California. Every Sunday I sat on the front pew and cried my way through the singing of great Christian hymns. Over the next almost 50 years I continued to sit on the front row on Sunday morning singing but tears only came occasionally. I was moved---deeply moved, but not to tears. This week, on Thanksgiving Day I will celebrate my 71st Birthday. Now, on Sundays like today, I find tears in the corner of my eyes as we sing "Beneath the Cross," "Near the Cross," and "In Christ Alone." Is it because I am nearer heaven now than ever before? I don't know. Maybe it's just age. I cry a lot more often now about a lot more things. I hope it's because I have deeper feelings about Christ, the cross, and heaven. I hope you do too.

0 comments: