Yes, Virginia There Really Is A Santa Claus

Saturday, November 26, 2005

The other kids were telling me there was no Santa Claus. I asked my mother. She said, "Yes, there really is a Santa Claus." I guess I believed that much longer than the average child. If mother said so---then that's the way it was. She also told me that there is a God and that the Bible is true. At some point I finally realized that mother was either lying, confused, or just taking part in a traditional "belief" that wasn't intended to be believed as an adult. Well, if mother didn't have it right about Santa---what about God? It was quite a strain on my weak, little brain but I finally had to sit down and ponder these things. Did I have to throw mother "off the train," or what?
Plain old, Okie, common sense kicked in and I ruled Santa out, and God in. I didn't damn mother or Santa to hell I just let common sense put this traditional story in its proper place. I still believe in Santa as the giver of gifts he just doesn't wear a bright, red suit. What about God? Once again, common sense told me that mother was telling the truth about God. I accepted God by faith based on mountains of evidence. The evidence didn't prove God but it did produce faith. There is so much about God that I don't know. But I agree with the one who wrote: "So I go on not knowing, I would not know if I might. I had rather walk with God in the dark, than walk alone in the light." Sela

0 comments: