FINDING GOD IN SPIRITUAL DEPRESSION

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Depression, or melancholia, as it used to be called, is a growing reality in America. In pathological spiritual depression, there are inexplicable times of sorrow, grief where the soul cannot be quieted. There are also depressions of the believer’s soul caused by real events. Isaiah was a man who was heartbroken for his sinful nation. Jeremiah was a man who wept for his people for a very good reason. The father of the prodigal son is a Biblical case of a man who had good reason to be depressed. He waited for that son.

Spiritual depression can also come from tempting of the devil. There is depression that comes when we see our sin for what it is.

Tomorrow I will be preaching at Lincoln Heights Christian Church on “Finding God in Spiritual Depression” I will not have 12 steps for avoiding spiritual depression. I will not have a three point message to getting rid of spiritual depression. I will be pointing to the “God of Life.” My text will be Psalm 42.

Tomorrow morning I will have a Bible in my hand and a message on my heart. I hope to see you there.

0 comments: