ON OUR WAY TO SOMEWHERE ELSE

Thursday, April 08, 2010

(I love Barbara Brown Taylor's book An Altar in the World the following excerpts are from that book)

The artist Georgia O'Keeffe, who became famous for her sensuous paintings of flowers, explained her success by saying, "In a way, nobody sees a flower, really, it is so small, we haven't time--and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."

The practice of paying attention really does take time. Most of us move so quickly that our surroundings become no more than the blurred scenery we fly post on our way to somewhere else.

What made Moses was his willingness to turn aside.

2 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

Hi Clif.

I love reading B. B. Taylor. I haven't heard of this book, but you make me want to get it. I love this story about the flower. I am running too fast. Thanks for the incentive to slow down and see the flowers.

I just received a book by UPS - On The Brink, by H. Paulson. I couldn't figure out why I got it. Then, I came to your blog and see it in the right column. Did I win this one on your blog? If so, thank you!

I have written a book on Proverbs, Cliff. I would be glad to send you one to read, review (if you care to), and give away or kieep if you wish. Please let me know and if you want it, send an address I can mail it to.

Thank you.

Meredith said...

Isn't it too true. The other day I was walking by this home that I walk by everyday and I noticed for the first time this gorgeous bush. I actually said out loud, "Now where did that come from?" Truth was, it had always been there but I was walking too fast or with my eyes closed.