WORDS THAT OUR SOUL HUNGERS FOR

Saturday, April 24, 2010

(One of my favorite books of all time is Ken Gire's Windows of the Soul. The following words are from that book.)

"Man shall not live by bread alone," Jesus said, "but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." If this is true, our very lives depend on those words. They are, in fact, the daily bread of our soul. But what are those words? And where do we find them?

Through the prophet Isaiah, God provides a clue. "As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Many have understood this passage as a reference to the Scriptures, thinking if a verse is quoted in conversation, or if a pamphlet of verses is put in a sack lunch for the homeless, or if a Bible is put into the hands of a skeptic, fruit will come from it. Often, though, our experience proves otherwise. The passage, in fact suggest otherwise.

Look deeper into the analogy. It compares the word that goes out of God's mouth to the rain and snow that go out of the sky. When rain or snow falls to the ground, it trickles into streams, pools into lakes, filters into subterranean wells. Dip your hand in a lake, and there is rain channeled from the mountains and snow melted from its peaks. Dig a well, and there also is something of the rain. Peer into the stem of a honeysuckle, and there a nectared tear wept by rain. Crush it and out comes a drop of what was once rain. Bite into a peach, and there is something of the winter snow mingled with spring showers in its succulent juices. Even in the desert, where there seems no trace of moisture, you can cut open a saguaro cactus and find something of the rain reservoired inside.

Like rain and snow, the word of God permeates the earth. To say God's word can be found only in certain places, like the Bible, for example, is to say, in effect, that rain water can be found only in lakes where it is most visible. But everywhere we look there are traces of His word. In history. In the circumstances of our lives. In every nook of humanity and every crannied flower of creation.


13 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Clif, this is truly beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.

Blessings,
Sandi

RCUBEs said...

Simply beautiful and so true! Thank you for sharing. I love that word "permeate"...I am praying that I will be more sensitive to know that I don't need to go anywhere and anytime, I can be soaked by Him as I pray. God bless.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post. Thanks for sharing.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I love this Cliff....it's powerful and I believe....His word is everywhere I look...in everything I see... Have a great weekend. Sarah

Loren said...

Permeate us Lord.....Reign down on us! This is a wonderful thought provoking post Clif! Just reiterates...there is NO WHERE we can go that HE isn't with us :) Praise HIM for that!!!!

Have a blessed weekend

Debbie said...

Oh I just LOVED this... So true. Have a wonderful Sunday. = )

A Busy Single Mom said...

I love this post and feel inspired to get the book! Thanks.

Cathy said...

That is so beautiful, Clif. Thanks for sharing it. Blessings ~

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

The Word of God is truly everywhere. What a beautiful thought.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW!This is powerful, you get a hold of some wonderful books.
God Bless,
Ginger

SmilingSally said...

I like this, Clif. God's Word, as well as God, is all over.

Lori Heyd said...

Hi Cliff, I hope you don't mind but I loved this post so much I linked it onto my blog post for today. Great post!

Cherdecor said...

I never thought of it that way before! Thanks, Cliff, for your thoughts.