TO LIVE WITH PAIN ON A DAILY BASIS

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

 To live with pain on a daily basis is to be involved in a high-maintenance relationship. To make peace with the pain can require as much energy as fighting it. Things you once did without thinking--rising, dressing, eating, walking--now take concerted effort, if not paid help. Who is this person who cannot help anyone, not even herself?

One night of real pain is enough to strip away your illusions about how strong you are, how brave, how patient and faithful. Who would have thought that a torn cornea could hurt all the way down to the heels of your feet? Who would have imagined that a really bad case of food poisoning could make you doubt the mercy of God? You do not need a torturer standing over you to recognize the direct link between pain and truth. Pain is so real that less-real things like who you thought you were and how you  meant to act can vanish like drops of water flung on a hot stove. Your virtues can become as abstract as algebra, your beliefs as porous as clouds.

(The above words are from An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor. It is one of the best books I have read in a long time. She has much more to say about living with pain. I have left this open ended because I want you to think about what she said in these two paragraphs. I am impressed with the fact that living with pain causes us to erase most of what we thought we knew about ourselves.)

3 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

I have found that through my recent pain for the last six months that most doctors refused to diagnose and left me to deal with pain on my own, taught me to persevere to find the reasons why. No one knows your body like you do, the case in point now is trying to convince the doctors you aren't just looking for another bottle of pain meds.

It also teaches you that God is right there through it all.

Please stop by my blog today to meet a blogger in need of help!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Debbie Petras said...

My mother dealt with such intense pain for the last few years of her life. She still maintained her faith and clung to the Lord until she died.

I wanted to thank you for your kind words on Heart Choices today. I greatly appreciate feedback.

BTW, I'm a fan of Charlotte's. :)

Blessings,
Debbie

Loren said...

Wow...this sounds like a must have book for me! Thanks Clif for sharing this with us

Trust you had a blessed Easter

Blessings to you my friend