To Floss Or Not To Floss

Sunday, February 19, 2006

I hate to floss. My dentist has a sign in his office which reads: "Floss only those teeth you want to keep." He tells me the electric toothbrush I use is the best on the market. Guess what? He still wants me to floss. I hate to floss. But I do want to keep all my teeth. The other day while the dental hygenist was digging a route to China in my mouth, I started talking to myself. I hate it when she trys to talk to me with her hands in my mouth. I just grunt and try to ignore her endless questions. So to pass the time, I talk to myself. I said, "Look, you're 71 years old so how many more years do you need these teeth? Not many. They have lasted this long without a lot of flossing, why bear down now?"

Well, after much reflextion I decided I do want to chew right up to the end. So, I went to the drug store and purchased two or three different things to clean between the teeth. Not dental floss. I hate to floss. The way I look at it the dentists don't really want us to floss. If we all did, they would go out of business. You may be saying, "Clif, with that kind of reasoning you probably think that preachers don't want us to stop sinning." If we all stopped sinning that wouldn't put good preachers out of business---just the sorry ones. A good preacher will be happy to stop holding members over the fires of hell and spend all his time talking about heaven.

Well anyhow, I'm trying to take better care of my teeth. I just refuse to dedicate my life to that one endeavor. Once in a while I just like to be a rebel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Floss picks work the best for me. Some break easily, some stretch, some are just BAD. The best are Plackers. They are deep and wide enough. (Humm, should be a song in that. Anyway, the hygenist commented twice on my last visit about how clean I kept my teeth. I keep them in the car also. Good time to clean the teeth, just make sure you don't have an audience.

Anonymous said...

Clif, I can't believe how much you and Paul are alike and also how diffrent. But flossing is not his thing either. He refuses to floss but uses those picks and leaves them here and there. I throw away a lot of them or Emma finds them and chews on them. I can see the 2 of you now at 85 eating pureed food and grinning.