LOOKING LIKE "SOMETHING THE DOGS DRUG UP"

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

CLOTHING MATTERS: WHAT WE WEAR TO CHURCH, What we put on may be more important than we think is the title of a wonderful article in the January 11, 2012 issue of Christianity Today.

When I say wonderful I mean just that---WONDERFUL!

Do you ever read something and think to yourself, "Wow, I wish I had written that"? Do you? I do! Occasionally. And today was one of those occasions.

Author Duane Litfin served for 17 years as president of Wheaton College. His article about the clothing we wear to church has really touched a sensitive nerve with me. Yes, I realize the reason I appreciate his article so much is because he agrees with me.

People who wouldn't dream of going to a loved ones funeral or wedding dressed casually assemble for worship of the Lord looking like they just came in from skid row. And if they indeed did just come from skid row their clothing would be appropriate. It would be the best they had.

Following a recent memorial service I attended a lady said to me, "I no longer come here. I find it hard to worship. The preacher doesn't need to dress up but he comes looking like he is going fishing." I felt like saying, "Yes, but so does everybody sitting on the pews." But all those people, including the preacher were "dressed up" for the funeral that day.

Enough from me! I can't begin to explain this as well as Duane Litfin.

I implore you to read his splendid article. It is lengthy--eight pages. But please read it all. And read with an open mind. Think about it. Pray about it. http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/januaryweb-only/clothingmatters.html

I will be happy to hear what you think, even if you disagree with the article and with me.

Peace.

2 comments:

a joyful noise said...

I certainly do agree on the matter of wearing our best when we come to church. And the contract about the wedding and funeral was excellent. In our city we have a place for new workers who don't own decent clothing to get something nice to work in. So there might be an occasion where someone had a good excuse to wear their torn jeans and cut offs to church. It must be the way children are brought up. Growing up we were poor but we always were clean and wore our sunday best to church. Still do!

Lori Heyd said...

I so agree with this Cliff. It is good to be casual as long as you are decent, but I have seen shirts so short in church that I wonder if they really know where they are??? Lori