UNLEASHING THE MIRACULOUS IN YOUR EVERYDAY WORLD

Thursday, June 16, 2016


THE SPIRIT CONTEMPORARY LIFE
Unleashing the Miraculous in your Everyday World
By Leon Fontaine

OVERVIEW: The Spirit Contemporary way of life involves communicating with others as Jesus would, using their language, stories, and settings. Leon draws on biblical truth and personal stories to reveal how this dynamic first-century faith can be yours when you live so in tune with God that you're guided in ways that are both natural and supernatural.

AUTHOR: LEON FONTAINE is senior pastor of Springs Church, one of the largest inter-denominational churches in Canada, with six campuses across two provinces. He is CEO of Miracle Channel, Canada's only twenty-four hour Christian family network, and host of The Leon Show, a daily interview program that airs in 150 countries. Leon and his wife, Sally, have five children who are all passionately serving in ministry.

MY REVIEW: Leon Fontaine paraphrases John 10:10 to read: "Jesus came so we could get a life." That's good. We can all understand that and I think that is what He came for. Fontaine's book will help you get that life.

The Spirit Contemporary Life points out many problems facing the church and then a solution is offered. Fontaine says that since we know the message about Jesus and the Holy Spirit's power to influence our lives is incredible, the problem has to lie with the messengers. It has to be us. We are the problem. He then says there is a simple solution. We need to learn to communicate Jesus' message in the context of our normal, everyday lives so that what we say and the way we say it doesn't send people running.

Fontaine tells many stories and that is good. Do I agree that everything he thinks was a miracle, really was a miracle? I don't know. I know he thinks they were. They may have been. I don't know. I do believe in miracles. I just don't believe everything called a miracle is a miracle of God. That's all. You will have to decide.

One problem I have with Fontaine's thinking is the title for his book and the way he thinks we should refer to the Holy Spirit. He wants Christians to stop using words like "glory," "hallelujah," and "amen in our everyday speech. I don't have a problem with that. But why use a title like The Spirit Contemporary Life? Maybe it's just me but I don't understand that title. And I am going to continue to say "The Holy Spirit" not just "Holy Spirit." I disagree with his reasoning for doing so. Most translations of the Bible read, The Holy Spirit.

(I received this book from Blogging For Books in exchange for a fair and honest review.)

0 comments: