CHANGING TIMES: CAR REPAIR

Monday, November 20, 2006

I got my first car before I had my driver’s license. It had to sit in the front yard until I turned sixteen. It was a 40 Ford coupe. It was in great condition and didn’t need many repairs. But like all cars, it did have to have brake adjustments, etc. as it grew older. I have lost track of how many different cars I have owned over the years. They all needed repairs from time to time. In my teens I always took my cars to a small garage where I knew the owner. He always knew what to do, repaired it quickly and didn’t charge me “an arm and a leg.” His shop was small and he was the only person working there.

How times have changed. Today I drive a Volkswagon Passat and when I have a repair I can’t make, I go to a nearby Volkswagon dealership for service. Man, it’s like driving up to the Ritz. A valet comes out to greet you and ushers you into the showroom, which is beautiful, and on into one of several small offices. Your first thought is, “I don’t want to buy a new car, I just want to have this old one repaired.” A little sensor light isn’t working and it seems like a minor matter. You discover that this professional can sit there in his office and by just glancing out the window at your car, tell that you need a $1,000.00 worth of work done. Amazing!

Well, today was different. I needed a headlight bulb for my Volkswagon. It cost less than $20.00 and the Valet put it in, which was quite a task, and there was no charge. They greeted me with a smile, acted like they were happy to see me, and we all were smiling when I left.

Hey, has the Christmas spirit kicked in already this year?

0 comments: