STAY YOUNG

Saturday, December 08, 2007

She wanted me to come help her make funeral arrangements. She has cancer and could die just any day. It was raining yesterday when Charlotte and I drove over to see her. It was wet and cold out and my old bones were aching. I felt like I was the one about to go.
She greeted us with great enthusiasm and led us into her home and seated us on her couch where we were surrounded by stacks of books and magazines, many of them containing articles and poems she had written. All around the room were beautiful paintings—the work of her hands. She talked without taking a breath. We were planning for her death, which could come just any time, but she acted like a young girl getting ready to start out on the beginning of her life.

It was still raining when we left, but for some reason my body wasn’t aching anymore and I didn’t feel so old. I felt young again. It was being with her. She did it. She told us about walking with God and knowing that He would never leave her. I suddenly felt closer to Him myself. I found His grace flowing through her to me. I went home refreshed in the spirit.

An old lady taught me how to feel young again. Thanks Ruth. I am going to try to stay young in spirit, the rest of my life.

0 comments: