AT DAWN WE SLEPT

Friday, July 18, 2008

Coming out of a Sunday afternoon movie, my mother and I were surprised to hear boys on the street shouting, “Extra, Extra, Read All About It.” The year was 1941 and I was seven years old. That was sixty-six years ago but I still remember it just like it was yesterday. From that day until this day I have had a great interest in what happened at Pearl Harbor.

I recently made my second trip to the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. I cannot go there without deep emotion. Following our trip, our daughter gave me a wonderful book which I have just finished reading. The book is At Dawn We Slept, The Untold Story Of Pearl Harbor.

Having finished that historical account I started Pearl Harbor, A Novel Of December 8th by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen.

If you are interested in this kind of history and this kind of reading, you will thoroughly enjoy these books.

We have the saying, “Remember the Alamo.” I say, “Remember Pearl Harbor.”

1 comments:

Kate said...

Hi--Enjoying your blog. As a Native Texan I always Remember the Alamo! But as the daughter of USN Sailor during WWII, I never forget Pearl Harbor, either.
I checked in here because you niece-in-law (think that's right) suggested her bloggy friends do so.

Glad I did!

Kate.