A DAY AT THE POST OFFICE

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Well I didn’t really spend a day there, it just seemed like it.

I didn’t have any business there—my wife did.

The line wasn’t really two miles long—it only seemed like it.

The signs on the two doors said, “Enter” and “Do Not Enter.” About every other person entering or leaving went through the wrong door.

I was sitting on a bench minding my own business. People kept coming up to me wanting information. “Can I buy a mop here?” “A mop?” “Yea, a Phoenix mop?” “Oh you want to buy a Phoenix Map.” “I don’t think they sell them here.” “What about a gos station?”
“A gas station?” “Yea, I think they may sell them there.” And then a young man asked me if he could buy a regular envelope. He had received a speeding ticket and wanted to respond by mail. He didn’t want a big envelope and he didn’t want to buy a whole package of envelopes. I sent him to a Drug Store but told him he probably would have to buy the whole package. I told him I would give him an envelope but I didn’t have one.

In another part of the Post Office I watched a man labor at getting stamps out of a machine. He pushed every button on the machine and then stood with his hands folded waiting. Nothing happened! Finally, several minutes later he turned to the long line waiting behind him, smiled and left.

Just as I was leaving a couple burst through the door and the lady said to the man with her, “Let’s ask him he may know.” I didn’t! They had turned in a forwarding address when they moved out of the man’s parent’s home and now they are getting all the mail from that address, including his parents.

Moral of the story: When you retire stay busy. Do whatever you have to do, just stay away from the Post Office.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

That is too funny. I am not retired, but I can surely relate. I recently waited for my mother in WalMart - I finished my shopping and she is so very slow -I sat on a bench in front to wait for her. I never saw so many "marked up" bodies and pierced bodies in my life. It was awful; yet amusing. I cannot believe what people do to themselves.
Have a great day!
Debbie

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

You just have that kind of face where everybody gravitate's to you.
Kind,caring,intellagent,concerned.
ginger

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Okay I am pretty sure it's my typing that's so BAD and not my spelling ( at least that's what I will say)
ginger

Kate said...

How Funny!

I remember being three years old and going to the Post Office with my mom--I didn't like it then and still don't.

An elderly woman, a member of my son's church, was waiting on a package delivery at the Post office. She was out of the line, standing where she was instructed to by USPS personnel. A letter carrier opened the door, knocked her over, she hit her head, and died.

I haven't been to the post office since.

Respectfully,

Kate.