THE APPLAUSE OF HEAVEN

Saturday, August 02, 2008

These words were written by Max Lucado in his splendid book, The Applause of Heaven.

I’ll be home soon. My plane is nearing San Antonio. I can feel the nose of the jet dipping downward. I can see the flight attendants getting ready. Denalyn is somewhere in the parking lot, parking the car and hustling the girls toward the terminal. I’ll be home soon. The plane will land. I’ll walk down that ramp and hear my name and see their faces. I’ll be home soon. You’ll be home soon, too. You may not have noticed it, but you are closer to home than ever before. Each moment is a step taken. Each breath is a page turned. Each day is a mile marked, a mountain climbed. You are closer to home than you’ve ever been. Before you know it, your appointed arrival time will come; you’ll descend the ramp and enter the City. You’ll see faces that are waiting for you. You’ll hear your name spoken by those who love you. And, maybe, just maybe—in the back, behind the crowds—the One who would rather die than live without you will remove his pierced hands from his heavenly robe and …applaud.

4 comments:

nannykim said...

This reminds me of a book I read a while ago...a true story. I think it was called Ninety minutes in heaven. It was about a preacher who was in a bad car accident. They pronounced him dead at the scene. Another preacher who had been at a conference with him came upon the accident and prayed over him. He was revived--and lived. Anyways he believes for the 90 minutes he was dead that he actually saw and experienced some of heaven and it transformed his life. I think if we have a glimse or foretaste of the realities of eternal life it will have a transforming power on our lives. We will really realize we are pilgrims here on earth and this life is some ways is but a shadow of the wonderful fullness that awaits us.

Unknown said...

I love this post! Nanny Kim added an affective illustration, too. This life is but a vapor...

Oh, to hear, "Thou good and faithful servant..." We need to place a higher premium on time and how we spend it.

Blessings, KJ

Carrie said...

This passage from Max Lucado gives us such a wonderful prospect of what God intends for those who love Him and await the retun of our Savior.

Kate said...

Dear Clif,

Absolutely Beautiful.

This wonderfully adds to a conversation my husband and I were having last night.

I have heard of Max Lucado, but never read any of his books--I'm ordering this one today!

Respectfully,

Kate.