CHRISTIANS AND HYPOCRISY

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

No wonder the world is confused about sin. Many Christians are too.

An excellent article in Christianity Today by Mollie Ziegler Hemingway got me to thinking about this subject.

She said, "Hypocrisy isn't failing to practice what you preach. Hypocrisy is pretending to have beliefs you do not have." Read that again slowly and let it sink in.

The emphasis is on pretending. None of us are perfect at practicing what we preach. We fight the battle to overcome sin on a daily basis.

Hypocrisy is when a dear Christian sister says, "Clif, don't you just love my squash casserole?" And I say, "Yes, I do. This is delicious."

Hypocrisy is when a young Christian mother asks, "Clif isn't this the most beautiful baby you have seen?" And I say, "She sure is! And she looks just like her mother."

As a minister I often said, "Now that's a baby!" Even then I wondered if my enthusiasm might have been a little strong.

Harmless examples? I don't know. Probably. I think it may be like trying to decide if there is such a thing as a "little white lie." We can be so conservative and strict that we drive ourselves and everybody around us to despair. On the other hand, sin is serious and we don't need to mess around with it.

I have decided what works for me and this is what I try to live by. I know in my heart what is serious in the sight of God and I know when I am pretending and trying to make myself look good. I know when I'm not telling the truth about something that matters to God.


I want people to think well of me but most of all I want them to know I am trying to be genuine every day of the week. And even more than this I know that God knows what hypocrisy is and it's His good opinion I want.

5 comments:

SmilingSally said...

An authentic Christian is the kind of person who draws people to Jesus. Total truthfulness can be cruel, and if we can say something positive rather than hurt feelings, I think we show the love of Jesus.

BTW: I DO make a good squash casserole! (chuckle)

Mary said...

This is wonderful, Clif...it IS pretending...an excellent way to define our unChristlike behavior, and I think it would explain why the Church has lost much of its influence in the world. Many people claim Christianity but do not believe scripture applies to them. I have asked myself why I don't pray for certain things, then realize that I don't believe God will answer the way I want Him to, like healing hubby's eyes. Do I believe that God CAN, or don't I?
Sometimes I feel like I'm pretending when I pray for a miracle, and even though the world can't see that, God does, and I don't think it pleases Him. You are right, He is the only one we are to please, and no one else...to be a man or woman after God's own heart should be our desire.

I had to laugh at your example of the baby looking like its mother...I think we've all been in that predicatment...LOL! But that is being kind, and you are a very kind guy, I'm sure.

Thanks for a great post. God bless.

Mary

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

Sometimes the best thing to say at certain times is nothing at all. Oh how you covered a great and challenging topic for Christians and believers! Well said!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Loren said...

I agree with all the comments from above....

This is in part why my Dad says he wouldn't attend church because of the hypocrisy. But I also think that Mary makes a good point about Christians thinking the Scriptures not applying to them. I know alot of Pastors don't preach on the unconditional Love of God because then people would run out and sin. But if people really understood the Unconditional Love of the Father they wouldn't even WANT to sin because HIS Love would change us completely!

What a topic today!!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Sometimes people can be too truthful and it can be hurtful. Some Christians can hurt others sometimes unknowingly, sometimes on purpose.

Like our mothers taught us in the old days: "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all!"

It's good to have a pocketful of responses ready, like "Now that's a baby!" or one I like if someone brings you food, you didn't really like: "It didn't last very long around here!" LOL! (Meaning it was thrown out, but hoping they think it meant it was loved so much it was eaten quickly! Now, is that a bad one?? LOL!

Katherine