FIRST GRADERS

Thursday, October 01, 2009

("Phillip Done knows that children will always giggle more when you tell them to stop, that broken candy canes do not taste as good as unbroken ones, and that by spring there will be more balls on the school roof than in the ball box." My post this morning is from his excellent book, Close Encounters of the Third-grade Kind.)

First graders like to be the first in line. They will stand by the classroom door during the entire recess so they can be at the head of the line when the bell rings. First graders love to use big words like infinity and bazillion. They will know more dinosaur names than you do. First graders are obsessed with Velcro. During Story Hour they will strap and unstrap the Velcro on their shoes. If the teacher has Velcro on his shoes, they will strap and unstrap his, too. First graders like to bring the conversation back to them. If you're talking about crocodile teeth, they will open their mouths and show you where they lost theirs. If you talk about fish, they will tell you how long they can hold their breath underwater. First graders also love to glue. Whenever they glue something, they will use enough to cement a skyscraper. Advice for new teachers: Hide Elmer's.

4 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

What a beautiful book this is becoming. I can't wait to add this to my collection.

Curious, how many books do you read in a day? Have you heard of the book When God Turned Off The Light? I was hoping to get your opinion if you have read it.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Loren said...

Clif,

I bet this was a JOY to read! Thanks for this sweet review!

Don't feel silly for not knowing what a life coach is...Basically it is a person who comes to help couples, families, corporations to become all that GOD made them to be. It's like being a counselor except that you can't call them in a crisis mode ~ they teach you during these times the tools to look within and seek the Lord for what it is that He is wanting you to know, understand, forgive, release judgements you may need to release etc. It is soooo awesome! and truly my hearts cry!

now, I have a question for u....I have contacted via email from your blog the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance to see if I could review for them and have never gotten any response. I love Thomas Nelson but would like to do more Fiction. Honestly I have contacted many and gotten no replies. How did you go about getting these publishers to respond to you?

Hope I helped with that explanation
love & blessings to you

SmilingSally said...

This sounds like a cute one.

bp said...

This makes me remember my first graders from a few years ago. They were a fun little bunch!

I have an award for you, I don't know if you "do" blog awards but I appreciate you and your blog and wanted you to know!

Bethany