PAYING ATTENTION TO PEOPLE

Friday, October 30, 2009


(John Ortberg is one of my favorite writers. The following is from his book, Love Beyond Reason)

The work of love is the work of paying attention. Love notices. Love listens. Love remembers. When is her birthday? What kind of coffee does he like? What is his favorite movie? Love is in the details. Deborah Tanner writes a wonderful story about a rag doll:

My great-aunt, for many years a widow, had a love affair when she was in her seventies. Obese, balding, her hands and legs misshapen by arthritis, she did not fit the stereotype of a woman romantically loved. But she was--by a man, also in his seventies, who lived in a nursing home but occasionally spent weekends with her in her apartment. In trying to tell me what this relationship meant to her, my great-aunt told of a conversation. One evening she had had dinner out, with friends. When she returned home, her male friend called and she told him about the dinner. He listened with interest and asked her, "What did you wear?" When she told me this, she began to cry: "Do you know how many years it's been since anyone asked me what I wore?"

When my great-aunt said this, she was saying that it had been years since anyone cared deeply--intimately--about her.

9 comments:

Loren said...

Clif,

I love it when your post makes me cry! This is absolutely precious ......

May we all love and care in this beautiful intimate way! Just as the Lord loves

Cheptoek said...

Yes, I remember that part in Ortberg's book, it touched me so too when I read the book. I actually read it after you recommended it and did a review on it a while back on your blog. Thank you for the beautiful reminder.

Mary said...

Tears, tears...my mom had a boyfriend, both in their 70's...it was so sweet...she looked like she was 16 when she looked at him, and he did too. They held hands and gave little pecks on the cheeks...at least that's all they let me see! I loved it that my mom found romance later in life, and I loved him for loving my mom.

God bless,
Mary

Sandy said...

Sounds like a good book, the illustration of love is one I'll remember and put into practise.
Sandy

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

This is so true. I have a very close elderly friend who came from Russia. I have been her repository for stories because she is too inform to write them down. Unless and until I come down with Alzheimer's, I am going to remember her experiences in WWII, the loss of three husbands, the difficulties she experienced in emigrating from the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and oh so many more experiences of a life so totally alien to mine and so educative for me.

I have never heard of this particular author. I will search out his books when I get a chance.

Enjoyed your post, as usual.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a sweet story, but also kinda sad to be reminded that so many elderly don't get compliments and praise very often. A good lesson to remember and to give compliments when we have an occasion to.

Katherine

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

It doesn't matter how old we are; we all want to be loved and appreciated! But the elderly especially, need to feel that. Thanks for sharing this and have a wonderful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

bp said...

I like this "Love is in the details." How true!

Ms.Daisy said...

Clif,
Lovely story! It doesn't matter how old...we all need love. Thanks.



Jean