YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

(I like the following story from Max Lucado's book, Fearless)

God treats you the way one mother treated her young son, Timmy. She didn't like the thought of Timmy walking to his first-grade class unaccompanied. But he was too grown-up to be seen with his mother. "Besides," he explained, "I can walk with a friend." So she did her best to stay calm, quoting the Twenty-third Psalm to him every morning: "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life..."

One day she came up with an idea. She asked a neighbor to follow Timmy to school in the mornings, staying at a distance, lest he notice her. The neighbor was happy to oblige. She took her toddler on morning walks anyway.

After several days Timmy's little friend noticed the lady and the child.

"Do you know who that woman is who follows us to school?"

"Sure," Timmy answered. "That's Shirley Goodnest and her daughter Marcy."

"Who?"

"My mom reads about them every day in the Twenty-third Psalm. She says, "Shirley Goodnest and Marcy shall follow me all the days of my life." Guess I'll have to get used to them."

7 comments:

Mary said...

LOL! Too cute, Clif. I hope Goodnest and Marcy follow me all the days of my life, too!

God bless,
Mary

Debbie said...

haha I LOVED this...it was so cute. My son just recently followed the school bus to school as his little KG son was riding it for the first time by himself (his big sister usually rides too but she was home sick with the flu) and he wanted to make sure he was sure of where he was to go once he got there etc. He "thought" he kept himself out of sight, but later that night his son told him, "I saw you daddy. I told you I could do it by myself, but I was happy when I saw you there. I might have needed you." I told my son when he told me the story later that it was such a perfect way to explain to his son how our heavenly Father watches over us and is ALWAYS there "in case" we need Him too. Have a great day....Debbie

Heart2Heart said...

Clif,

I love everything that Max Lucado has written. Genius I tell you, plain and simple. This is one of the best stories he shares in that book. I read it from cover to cover just like one of my most favorite meals!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Loren said...

How SWEET is that!! This books sounds so wonderful. I have seen it mentioned a few times w different stories! I will have to check it out!

Bless you

Cheptoek said...

Wow! I had to read the last part twice to get it! Then the chuckle came. Thank you for making me smile!

kymber said...

Very cute! Thanks for the chuckle this morning!
Blessings,
Kymber

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

So cute what little ones come out with! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi