LEARNING TO LISTEN

Thursday, September 02, 2010

It seems I have been talking all my life.

After all I preached for forty-seven years, for goodness sake.

It almost seems like God said, "Look Clif, you've talked enough. Shut up and listen for a while."

OK!

For the past six years I have been trying to listen more. It's not easy.

We have great churches in Phoenix but I looked all over before I found a preacher I could listen to.

Slowly but surely I am coming to "Speak, Lord; your servant is listening" instead of "Listen, Lord; your servant is speaking."

I like what Leonard Sweet said on this subject: "...the quieter we become, the chattier God gets. Just as when you keep silence, someone tends to talk more and reveal more, so when we keep silence before God, God tends to reveal more or we hear more. Do you want more of God? Then shut up and listen." 

3 comments:

Cherdecor said...

Good thoughts, here!

I read in my devotional Bible this morning, "Our great struggle is not hearing God speak, but obeying what He has already said." I thought that was pretty good too.

Loren said...

Great Words today Clif!

I'm listening!!!

Merana Leigh said...

That is a hard one, isn't it? Being still & basically shutting up? I guess it's when we get to the point of emptying ourselves out to Him, that He finally has the chance to answer.

Praying for you still in the direction He is taking you!

Hugs ~ Merana