MORNING COFFEE

Friday, February 15, 2008

Johann Sabastian Bach said, “Without my morning coffee I am just like a dried up piece of roast goat.”

Johann must have been a java junkie. I see a lot of folks like him when we occasionally go out for breakfast. You can recognize them across a crowded room. They stare straight ahead. Their eyes are glazed over. They mumble when spoken to.

I’ll never understand it. I drink coffee. I even like it a little bit. But I never, ever, crave it or have to have it to get my “motor” running.

College took its toll on me. I found myself staying up until the wee hours of the morning cramming for Greek exams and trying to finish term papers. Needless to say, I was doing a lot of “horsing around” when I should have been studying. I was the “Whom” as in “For Whom the Bell Tolls” and when the bell started tolling I started drinking (coffee that is). I still don’t know if it was the caffeine that helped me make it through the night or just plain fear.

Come to think about it, I feel like a dried up piece of roast goat in the morning, with or without coffee.

0 comments: