MUGS VERSUS COFFEE CUPS

Saturday, February 02, 2008

“I don’t drink much coffee, and when I do, I want it in a cup!” My nephew told me this recently without blinking an eye.

“A cup?” “A cup?” “You have got to be kiddin’.” “Nope, I’m not kiddin’.” “That’s just the way I am.”

He and his wife were visiting from California. (Wouldn’t you know it?) When they left I went on a search in our house for coffee cups. I found a few fancy ones in a buffet in the dining room and four or five pretty ones hanging on a hanger on the wall. I think they are just there for show—not for use.

Returning to the kitchen I found lots of mugs. My favorite is a great one from Garland’s Oak Creek Lodge in Sedona. It brings back great memories. Another favorite is from Fort Collins, Colorado. I still remember where and when we bought it.

I love sitting it front of the fireplace with a great mug of coffee. I can’t even imagine sitting there with a coffee cup in my hand. My nephew is coming to visit again soon. I’m setting a coffee cup out for him. I hope he doesn’t use it. It would be embarrassing for both of us.

He was probably just pulling my leg, don’t you think?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe it's not his fault. Maybe something happened to his pinkie. If your pinkie doesn't bend then I think you are required by Juan Valdez to use a cup. I dunno, it's the only explanation I can come up with.
By the way, my favorite is a tall mug with a santa on it. I know, but it gets a comment 10 months out of the year.