PRESIDENTS DAY

Monday, February 18, 2008

I grew up thinking that the President of the United States was the ultimate! I even thought that the President of a bank or the President of anything was pretty special. Not anymore! They are just people. They get into their pants one leg at a time, just like everybody else. I was silly enough to think that they could and would make a difference. I thought they would always do the right thing whether it was politically right or not. Wrong again!

Today I will be cooking outside, laying around the pool and I might even do a little (very little) yard work. Nothing I do today will relate to Presidents. Oh, we have had a few good ones, I guess. Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan are two of my favorites. But I just don’t get too excited about Presidents anymore. I kind of favor the “little guy” down at the bottom of the ladder more than the guy at the top.

What will President Bush be doing today? If he takes a holiday he will probably be riding his bike over dusty trails on his property in Texas or clearing it of brush. If he doesn’t take a holiday he will be figuring out ways to spend more money (not his, ours) or give more away. And without a doubt he will be planning ways to assist those who are in our country illegally.

Happy Presidents Day!

0 comments: