PREVENT REGRET

Friday, February 08, 2008

In his book, When The Game Is Over It All Goes Back In The Box, John Ortberg tells the story of the great Scottish essayist and historian Thomas Carlyle. Carlyle’s wife, Jane became ill and he was so devoted to his work he did not seem to notice her poor health much. Eventually it was determined she had cancer and was confined to bed. He truly loved her but did not have much time to stay with her or much attention to give her.

After several years of this, Jane died. On the day of her funeral Carlyle was suddenly, shatteringly empty. He went to her bedroom and found her diary. On an entire page she had written a single line: “Yesterday he spent an hour with me and it was like heaven; I love him so.” He turned the page and found: “I have listened all day to hear his steps in the hall, but now it is late and I guess he won’t come today.”

He read a little more and then ran out of the house. Friends finally found him kneeling at the side of her grave. His eyes were read from weeping; tears were rolling down his face. “If only I had known, if only I had known,” he cried.

Thursday is Valentine’s Day. I’m sure we will remember. But let’s not treat this day the way some treat Thanksgiving Day and Christmas. Paying attention is not an annual event!

0 comments: