NOT LOVING GOD

Thursday, May 18, 2006

My purpose for writing a blog is to let my friends (the few who care) know what I’m thinking about. Back when I retired from years of ministry, friends would often ask, “Clif, what are you up to these days? Are you preaching anyplace?”

Today I’m thinking about God. I’m thinking about not loving Him.

As it often happens, reading led me into this thinking. Ken Gire is one of my favorite writers. Today I was reading in his book, The Reflective Life and came across this quote from R.A. Torrey: “If loving God with all our heart and soul and might is the greatest commandment, then it follows that not loving him that way is the greatest sin.”

Ken Gire asks, “Where can you hide from logic like that?”

Listen again: “If loving God with all our heart and soul and might is the greatest commandment, then it follows that not loving him that way is the greatest sin.”

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother NEVER liked to get out of bed early in the morning. She simply was not a morning person. In the 3 or 4 years she was living with me, unable to care for herself in anyway, I was getting her ready for Sunday school and church one morning. It was a trial for this very independent woman to have someone care for her and make decisions for her. She ask that morning, "Why do we have to go to church so early?" I said, "Because we love Jesus." She replied, "Well, I don't love Him that much!" Shortly after that I found a scripture (don't ask me where it is now) that said, very loosely quoted, "God, don't let me live long enough that I no longer love you". Sadly, guess my mom had reached that point.

Your blog on this day reminded me of that Sunday morning.